Cattaragus

Slapshot - We went out Wednesday and got our 3 man limit.  We started in 80fow of water in front of Catt and the water 65ft down was only 58 degrees, so we headed towards Dunkirk and the water warmed up to 66 degrees 65ft down.  That's where we caught all our fish.  All fish we marked were 60 ft to bottom.

• Like 2

Fished Saturday From 2:30 -6:15pm with a buddy.  Other than 1 boat in close to shore we were literally the only boat on the the lake.  It was actually kind of creepy.  We got drizzled on for about 15 minutes at about 4:00pm but it cleared up and was beautiful till we quit.  Fished in 85ft , there were constantly fish on the screen from 30ft to the bottom. We boxed out when bringing up the downriggers at 6:15pm.  Most of the fish caught 50-70-ft down on harnesses and spoons that had pink on them, no bites on stick-baits.  Nothing big, all fish 18-22", no throwbacks.

• Like 4

Great day today. Took mom out fishing this am. Fished 80-90 ft just west of Catt. Most fish were at 60-70. Pretty easy 2 man limit in 2 1/2 hrs. Finished the morning on a triple. A little bumpy but I’ll take it for October. Should be good tomorrow too. About 15 boats out there. And a few trying for perch. Fish still loving anything purple!  Have fun guys! 

• Like 1

A fine day indeed, two man limit this morning. All on Harnesses off the bottom in 70 to 80 FOW west of the Catt. Pink, Purple and Red did the trick for all of them. Most were nice 18-22 inchers with a few 3 and 4-pounders and one 9.5 pound 30" slob. 

• Like 1

Today was the best bite all year for me. A little bumpy getting out but not bad once ur out there. Gotta troll with the waves. 15 fish in 45 min. One 8 pounder and the rest were 18-22 perfect eaters. Loving purple. Great morning now off to work. 

Edited by Thechad

What am I doing wrong, I was out of the Catt this morning, started out in 80fow, didn’t mark any fish . . Traveled west to out n front of the windmills in 70fow . . . No fish. Through out a chartreuse worm harness, not one bite, through ou another rod with a purple spoon tipped with a worm . .

nothing . . . 6 hrs didn’t mark anything 2:30 decided to started in, switched to a triple D worm harness blue/black/clear nailed a 28” steelhead in 50’ of watertrolled for another hour and a half, marked nothing, decided to call it a day. It’s hard for believe everyone is limiting out and I don’t see anything, this was like my third time out in the last 30 days without marking fish, or able to catch more than one fish!

Those eyes.... there are a lot of variables to account for. Today my screen was some of the best all year with fish from 65- tight to the bottom. Straight out of the Catt was awesome today. I used purple crankbaits on leadcore on two outside rods and a dipsy with a purple worm harness on my 3rd pole. I was only able to put the third pole out once bc the bite was so hot. Idk what to tell ya other than there is definitely fish out there from 65-85 ft all over. The hard part is figuring out how to get down there to them. I guess u gotta figure out what works. Try crankbaits though. Also I hate tipping stuff bc it really effects the motion of the lure or spoon. Maybe that’s just me. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Those eyes said:

What am I doing wrong, I was out of the Catt this morning, started out in 80fow, didn’t mark any fish . . Traveled west to out n front of the windmills in 70fow . . . No fish. Through out a chartreuse worm harness, not one bite, through ou another rod with a purple spoon tipped with a worm . .

nothing . . . 6 hrs didn’t mark anything 2:30 decided to started in, switched to a triple D worm harness blue/black/clear nailed a 28” steelhead in 50’ of watertrolled for another hour and a half, marked nothing, decided to call it a day. It’s hard for believe everyone is limiting out and I don’t see anything, this was like my third time out in the last 30 days without marking fish, or able to catch more than one fish!

What are you using to try and get down to the fish? How fast are you trolling? Dipseys (what setting and how many feet back)?, downriggers (what depth)?, leadcore(how many colors)?

Edited by fishmaster

Was out yesterday 78' off the Catt, limited in about 2 hours. All fish caught off riggers around 68-70'. Bottom 20' loaded with fish. Those eyes...chartreuse harnesses have not produced for me this year and try adjusting sensitivity like rvan suggests cause the fish are there. I agree with Thechad, purple was the go to color. Was using a purple reef runner ripstick called Eriedescent, eyes loved it. Was a beautiful day on the water for October.

22 hours ago, Thechad said:

Those eyes.... there are a lot of variables to account for. Today my screen was some of the best all year with fish from 65- tight to the bottom. Straight out of the Catt was awesome today. I used purple crankbaits on leadcore on two outside rods and a dipsy with a purple worm harness on my 3rd pole. I was only able to put the third pole out once bc the bite was so hot. Idk what to tell ya other than there is definitely fish out there from 65-85 ft all over. The hard part is figuring out how to get down there to them. I guess u gotta figure out what works. Try crankbaits though. Also I hate tipping stuff bc it really effects the motion of the lure or spoon. Maybe that’s just me. 

Tans I appreciate any words of wisdom 

• Like 1

Ya u gotta try going 2-2.5 and leadcore and dipsys. Gotta use crankbaits this year for sure. Also do research on what kind of leadcore to use ( every brand dives differently.) I use sufix 832 and I love it and it dives about 7-8 fpc depending on speed and u can find videos on dipsy setups and what sticks guys like more than others. I can’t even tell u how many videos I watched and articles I looked up.  It takes just as much time on the computer researching different stuff and making sure u have the right gear and know where ur bait is. Always willing to help out a fellow angler! Hopefully we get a couple more flat days so u can try it out again. 

Thanks for the heads up, will start researching you tube for more information. Just got A new boat this year, figured I d start targeting walleye & perch, haven’t quite got the boat set up yet. Kinda leaning towards setting up for bottom bouncing, seems that’s the easiest and most economical right now, but putting the boat up soon. Hope to get to the walleye assoc mtgs for more information too!

Bottom bouncing is great, but the more lines you get in the water the better, so trolling is the way to go. In the hard years you need to get farther away from the boat because boat scares the fish to the side before you lines and lure even get there. That means dipseys and boards. For boards you got to decide big boards or in lines. I prefer big boards and use plastic folding Cannon boards because they fold up for storage in boat and work great. Mast is expensive, but nothing cheap about fishing. A couple of dipseys are cheap and a good way to start and easy to use. Stick with it and you will get the hang of it.

ace

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics