Walleye Sturgeon Point July 2021

Fished out of Sturgeon Friday 7/24/21.

Went towards Abino point to Canadian line and trolled towards Buffalo in 66 to 63 FOW.

Started trolling about 4 PM and stopped at 8:30

Got 4 walleye and 1 giant sheep. Kept 3, released a 16 incher.

All fish came on down rigger set at 52 feet down off a shallow stick bait, 40 feet behind ball.

Tons of fish on screen, bottom up to 30 feet but it was tough to get to hit. Even tripped sticks off ball and let it float up. They could care less.

They ones that hit, hit viscously.

Ran 2 big dipsy's, no takers. 

Ran 1 100 foot copper rig off boards, no hits.

Ran a 4 color lead off the other board, pulling a deep diver crank bait, no takers.

Resized_20210723_222139_2614.jpeg

Resized_20210723_222206_2042.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice report Puking Dog. Good to see some fish are biting in this area. It is a lot simpler fishing with sticks (and spoons) and fewer junk fish, but some of the limit catches are being reported taken on harnesses. I wonder if that would have turned them on?

3 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Nice report Puking Dog. Good to see some fish are biting in this area. It is a lot simpler fishing with sticks (and spoons) and fewer junk fish, but some of the limit catches are being reported taken on harnesses. I wonder if that would have turned them on?

I started with 3 harnesses and 3 sticks.

Got the 1 small 16 incher on harness when we were breaking down for the night. I think it drifted down to the bottom when boat was in neutral as I was running all the gas out of my kicker. I'm thinking if your drifting out near the fish, you could limit out easy bottom bouncing, but I just can't get in to that kind of fishing.  I love trolling and always will.

I guess it's in my blood from all the countless hours of musky trolling on Chautauqua, with my dad , when I was still a kid. 

Ace

• Like 2

Oh, by the way they are renting slips at Sturgeon again. There were about 12 boats tied up at the slip docks

and a bunch of boats in dry dock in the parking lot. I guess the town finally came to their senses.

They are not selling bait or ice this year though. Also, don't know if they are giving a discount for opening so late.

Launch guy's said call the town for prices.

Barcelona is town owned... charges 6 bucks to launch and doesn’t have seasonal docks..... never closes down and doesn’t silt in every year so springtime fishing is useless... yes pure politics at sp... where does ALL that money go???....

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

For me it's 121 miles to Barcelona vs. 83 miles to Sturgeon... if I fish until dusk it makes for a long night driving back and adding cleaning time on top of that. The extra money to launch at Sturgeon is well worth it to save on both time and gas money if there's active fish in both waters.

Fished out of Sturgeon Point today. 12 pm till 8 pm. Got a little bumpy from about 5 to 8 pm. We got 3 eyes 19 to 22 inches on harnesses. Started oout with bottom bouncers  then changed to trolling with dipsies then back to drifting with bb'ers when the wind and waves picked up. We caught more sheephead than ever before... about 20. Thought we were going to do better.

Fished 70 fow between Sturgeon and the Catt today, first line at 6:40 and quit around 12:30. Never moved a rod until 8:30 and we ended up 11 for 13, lost two right at back of boat. Also caught one steelhead when I wasn’t paying attention to Fish Hawk and we had our spoons in a pocket of cold water.

Ran two wire divers with harnesses near bottom and got 1 on a watermelon harness.

Had 8-9-10 color cores with sticks on inlines. The nine and tens caught 4 with Bay Rat sticks.

Riggers with spoons parked at 65 and 70 feet over 72 fow got the other 6 plus the two we lost. Alewife SS was the MVP for sure.

Speed was 1.8 to 2.2 at the ball. Most fish were in the 5 pound (ish) range.

Good luck to those going out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey nice going ! thanks for the passing the information! The line between sturgeon and Buffalo is drying up lately.. I’ll be headed to the Catt this week. Hopefully we’ll have a good day to report back on ! Tight Lines !

Sent from my iPad using Lake Erie United

Fished out of Sturgeon Wed night Aug 4, 2021

Got 4 walleye, 3 nice ones on watermelon dipsey, set on 2, 175 back, watermelon harness single willow leaf.

Got 1 small eye on stick bait on 200 ft copper, long lined in chute behind boat (released it).

Went NW out of Sturgeon until we got about 1/2 mile from Canada and trolled West almost to Catt.

Fished 72 to 75 FOW

Also fished 2 down riggers near bottom, didn't get a touch on them.

Trolled from 4:30PM till sundown. First fish at 5:45 on copper.

Big fish only started biting after 6pm

Got pretty windy out of NE towards sunset, so we quit.

Broke off a down rigger ball and lost ball and Chamberlain release. Think I snagged a sunken tree. Ouch

20210804_224351.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Fished out of Sturgeon Point today. 1 pm till 6:30. Not many marks. Bottom bounced with rod in hand at various depths with harnesses. Ended up with 1 walleye  1 smallmouth and 2 jumbo perch. Nice day out except for wind direction. My last outing on Erie for this season. Time to start hunting.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics