Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jimski2

Emerald Shiner enigma?!

What is going on? The Arctic Terns that breed on the breakwater have disappeared . The jumbo perch we caught are full of planktons, not minnows. The throw back perch have disappeared. Bait dealers have no emeralds. The Commercial Fishermen are not there to dump the blame on. The smelt masses are not seen. Plenty of walleyes out in 75 plus feet of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

Millions of walleyes can put a hurtin' on the baitfish in the lake.........and smaller perch. 

That being said, we did get some smaller perch today.

Edited by J. Sparrow

I have noticed that there's not as many emeralds the last few years. not as many in the river in the spring for dipping. I agree that the way that the walleye population has exploded may have an effect on the baitfish. The NYSDEC Lake Erie Annual report from 2017 shows low numbers for emerald shiners since 2014.  2017 Lake Erie Annual Report: March 2018 (PDF, 5.1 MB)  But on the brighter side,  I'll take 40 million walleye any day.  As long as they keep the windmills & asian carp out of the lake, we should have great fishing for years.

there was a emerald shiner shortage long before the latest walleye explosion some years we had a good run some year not so good, I lived by the rive and grow up on the upper river , back as far as the early 60 and on it was a year to year thing. Now with that being  said, I agree that the large numbers of walleye and the refugees that take dozens and dozens of 5 gallon buckets filled to the top with no water every day in the spring are hurting the shiner population. the DEC was doing a study on why the population drops, they where looking into the water flow current speed and temp, pollution plus other thing like disease but I haven't seen any reports out. I remember in the 70's when small tanker trucks would pull to the foot of Sheridan and fill the tanks up to sell other places some out of state and that would happen almost every day in the spring. there is more to it than just what we see its not just the walleye population.  more funding and more studies are needed good luck with that.