Lake Erie Conditions

I’m fairly new to Lake Erie. Usually fish the Lake Ontario and Lower River circuit. I’m wondering about winds and their impact on the eastern end of Lake Erie. I’m thinking the best wind direction for calm conditions should be SSW. Can anyone with more experience provide any insight? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

My experience is that it depends on where you're fishing(how far off shore) and the time of year, but in general S, SE, ESE wind will be the most favorable for lake conditions, but they're not always conducive to the best fishing. The lake shoreline is oriented roughly SW - NE, so any wind with a W component will build. 

A SSW wind is usually the norm , definitely not the calmest, that's generally would be a south or east wind , anything over 14 on a SSW wind stay home .

Sent from my SM-G935V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

I agree with diablo any wind with west in it I don’t leave house if much over 10 mph the app windy is very informative

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

I check windy.com and Port Colborne buoy. Keep in mind that buoy wave heights listed are  " AVERAGE" so real wave height is probably twice as high.   If you get a SE wind under 20, you should go fishing, no matter how hot it gets. Take the sun screen and enjoy being able to steer any course and relax. Windy.com seems to pretty accurate every time I have used it.

• 2 weeks later...

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics