Perch Perch Page-Spring 2017

This post goes out to the charter captains I had 5 trips this week with as low as 2,guys and as high as 7 guys  each trip we boxed out total of 1100 fish in five trips so what is to many I am thinking of limiting my clients to only 25 each  just want your input on this and if any of you think like this  I'm afraid at this rate x how many captains x each client we will be in trouble  don't hang me just wondering

• Like 1

lineman I don't know your brother think you have someone different I run trappercreek charters I run 22.5 ft Crestliner  if any of you see me at launch come talk to me I will be glad to help you . as for the fish limit im starting this tomorrow morning my party agreed to it not sure if the rest will agree I don't know if it will affect the business  any but I will be happy to give it a try  for now don't really want to cut prices but if I  need to we will cross that bridge when we get to it . think their might be trouble coming as I charter a lot of Amish and they want meat and lots of it but I am going to stress the future of our fishery depends on all of us this is just a start on my part

Failure to harvest enough perch from 1986 to 2003 caused a collapse of our walleye fishing here on Lake Erie. The unharvessted perch preyed on the small walleyes and even their own fry and fingerlings and we went from coolers of walleye to difficulty with taken our limit. We must maintain a balanced population of various species for success. The biologist give New York a quota and we never reach it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

• Like 1

jimski2 just saying that at the rate we are going in the next 3-4 weeks I will be well over 8000 fish and the last 3 years we cant catch any perch after the spawn like we did in yrs past  we all could go out anytime of the year and catch perch not so over the past 3 yrs I think the state needs to reevaluate the numbers before it is to late I could be wrong and probably am but I want to air on the side of caution  have many friends in state dept and look what they did to the deer hunting in some areas of the state just a guessing game at times would love to see the actual data gathered by the biologists and how it was collected the state puts a limit on the muskys in the lake and river but anyone that fishes these fish knows that if every fish caught that is of legal size was kept we would not have the fishery that we do im not writing to offend any one but us captains can really put a hurting on things if we don't be carful maby we will be alright with 50 fish but just wondering .

here my opinnon on the limits i've been fishing lake erie for 50 years and I get out for perch about maybe six time a year than am fishing for eyes I usesally  get my limit maybe three of the times out and am happy with that if you guys have ever seen the the comical boats out Canada or ohio when they come in empty there boat you think twice that there worry about over fishing for perch your wrong there a quota set so that don't happen and aonther point if I was going out on a charter and my quota was  50 fish that's what  my license said I  could keep that what I want now if the charter haft the price that a diff story but for me if am paying  full price mean my full quota I hope everything work for you when you tell your the guys that booked a charter they can only can keep 25 fish a lot guys thats book charters don't get to fish that often personally if you you told me when I called to book a perch charter I could only keep 25 fish I find a diff charter that my 2cent o by the way Jimski2 been fishing lake erie before some of were born   thanks  John

I totally understand where you r coming from but the state is not always the most correct on such things and are driven by revenue so they make decisions that fall somewhere in the middle if Canada is taking that many fish in their nets then I guess we need to conserve a little more pa and ohio both have 30 fish limits so where does that leave the walleye population very good as I was saying I did not write this is make anyone mad just wanted options maybe I wont be able to do the 25 fish if my clients wont allow but it just scares me to see what could happen we have the best fishery in the country I am fortunate to fish around the world and we have the best I have ever seen .   

• Like 4

Here is my take on the situation. Trapper no matter how good your fishing is, I don't think your entire season can remove as many perch as a commercial fishing boats one days catch ! If the population was in trouble I think thats where the cuts would need to come to make a see able difference! JMO

• Like 1

Failure to harvest enough perch from 1986 to 2003 caused a collapse of our walleye fishing here on Lake Erie. The unharvessted perch preyed on the small walleyes and even their own fry and fingerlings and we went from coolers of walleye to difficulty with taken our limit. We must maintain a balanced population of various species for success. The biologist give New York a quota and we never reach it.

Where do you get all this false info?all talk no action. Do yuh ever catch fish ar do you talk the walk?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Erie United Mobile App

New York's Commercial gill net fishermen took on the average 200,000 pounds of perch annually. At three to a pound average that amounted to 600,000 perch. For the next five years the unharvested perch accumulated to three million perch that fed on anything they could find including other perch, walleyes, bass and emerald shiners to name a few. By the year 2000 taking a limit of walleye was very difficult an no one had answers. A balanced harvest of all species is the answer. Unfortunately the public anointed walleye as the God for fishing and the perch were ignored. Our problem today is we  have lost the ability to clean and handle our perch catch and the limit should be what we can clean comfortably. Remember you can buy perch from Canadian fishermen at twenty dollars a pound. Personally I am happy to take twenty perch a day and we do not need any more laws from New York State with foolish limits if any more are needed. New York State has enough laws now if they are piled up they will reach the moon. Especially laws concocted by unprofessional people who are overwhelmed by their success at taking fish that they feel a guilt deal that does not exist. 

• Like 2

I remember when I was a young boy that everyone came home with blue pike by the hundreds every weekend not saying that fishing alone caused the disappearance of them but in did not help and as for feeling guilty not so  just know what the state biologists say and it is different than you think if you want to keep all those fish go ahead I don't want more laws either but we are the only state or providence that borders lake Erie that has such limits just don't want people crying when we have no fishery left and before you respond to this you might want to call the state biology department and find out for yourself get the facts not your own opinion 518-402-8920 ask how stable the perch fishery is on lake erie.

I agree with what Jimski said as well. I only keep what I can use or give away. If I came home with 50 perch that would be over a year or two's worth for my wife and I. The most I kept last year was 24, we ran out of minnows and I thought I had a friend to come help clean.

Recreational fishing does have an impact on fisheries but often politics has more. Like others have said walleye is god and perch are second. I probably would fish perch more but don't want to keep as many and releasing them from 60 ft of water is often not possible.

Back to fishing though does anyone know if the docks are in at the cat yet? Or is there a dock at the marina there and how much do they charge to launch?

• Like 1

The blue pike, ciscoes, whitefish and lake trout were exterminated at once. The smelt took over the lake and took over the cold water species in the mid fifties. They consumed all the other fry that lived there. Around 1964 the Canadians started trawling the smelt and exporting them from the Detroit airport to Japan. Once a use for the smelt was determined and a control on their existence happened did the walleye and perch return to Lake Erie. Salmon stocking in the 1970's helped control the smelt also. The Commercial Fishing Operations were not supported then as sportfishing license sales dominated revenues for the state. The walleye and bass fishing dominate the fishery especially with their money prize contests so things have not changed, it is money that drives the decision making.

http://ohiodnr.gov/news/post/2017-lake-erie-sport-fishing-outlook-once-again-great-news-for-anglers <$websitename/$>

Lake Erie Sport Fishing Outlook Once Again Good News

Lake Erie Sport Fishing Outlook Once Again Good News

COLUMBUS, OH – Lake Erie anglers should experience another year of diverse fishing opportunities in 2016. Lake Erie walleye and yellow perch fisheries are managed through an interagency quota system that involves Ontario, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York and Ohio. Each jurisdiction regulates its catches to comply with quotas and minimize the risk of over-fishing these species. Quotas for the upcoming fishing season are determined through consensus agreement by these jurisdictions through the Lake Erie Committee of the Great Lakes Fishery Commission, which were just recently announced for 2016.

As a result of the 2016 quota allocation, the walleye daily bag limit is four, and the yellow perch daily bag limit is 30 per angler in Ohio waters of Lake Erie until April 30.

The daily bag limit will be six walleye from May 1 through February 28, 2017. From March 1, 2017 through April 30, 2017, the daily walleye bag limit will be four. A 15-inch minimum size limit is in effect during the entire season for walleye. The yellow perch daily bag limit will be 30 from May 1 through April 30, 2017, with no minimum size limit. Lake Erie anglers can find walleye and yellow perch bag limit information at ODNR offices, in special publications at bait and tackle shops and at wildohio.gov.

Walleye
Ohio walleye anglers will catch fish mostly from the 2014 and 2013 hatches, with some fish from the 2012, 2011, 2010 and 2009 year classes. Additional fish from 2007 and 2003 will also be harvested by anglers. Walleye from the average 2014 hatch will range 15-18", while walleye from the 2013 hatch will be between 16-20 inches. Fish from the 2003 and 2007 hatches are likely to carry most of the Central Basin fisheries, and a good number of these walleye will be over the 26-inch range. Large walleye from strong hatch in 2003 will continue to provide “Fish Ohio” opportunities (greater than 28"), with this year class nearing the size that may give Ohio a new state record walleye. Additionally, in 2016, anglers should see a number of smaller (less than 15 inches) fish from the excellent 2015 hatch. Anglers are reminded of the 15-inch minimum size limit and encouraged to release these fish with as little handling as possible so they can contribute to the fisheries in future years.

Yellow Perch
Expect good perch fishing in 2016, with improving numbers of fish in the Western Basin and the largest fish in the eastern areas of the Central Basin. Perch anglers should encounter fish ranging from 7 to 13 inches from the 2014 through 2008 hatches this year, with major contributions from the 2014, 2011 and 2008 year classes. Fish from the average-to-better hatches in 2007 will contribute fish in the 10-plus inch range. “In 2015, yellow perch fisheries flourished in the eastern portions of Ohio’s Lake Erie, and we expect this trend to continue into 2016,” said Jeff Tyson, Lake Erie fisheries program manager for the ODNR. Black Bass
Smallmouth bass fishing in 2016 is expected to be fair but improving. Smallmouth bass catch rates decreased in 2015, when compared to 2014, but are still the highest observed since the mid-1990s. Smallmouth bass should be an excellent size (14 to 22 inches and weighing up to six pounds).

The best fishing for smallmouth bass will continue to be in areas with good bottom structure, which is the available habitat across much of the entire Ohio nearshore and islands. Continuing the trend from previous years, largemouth bass fishing should be excellent in 2016. This emerging fishery is producing high catch rates and some large fish in nearshore areas and harbors across Ohio’s Lake Erie. All black bass (smallmouth and largemouth) must be immediately released from May 1 through June 24. Beginning June 25, the daily bag limit for bass will be five, with a 14-inch minimum length limit.

Steelhead
Steelhead anglers should enjoy another year of great fishing in 2016 in Ohio’s Lake Erie open waters and in tributaries. Peak summer steelhead action on Lake Erie can be found offshore from June through August between Vermilion and Conneaut, with catches measuring 17 to 29 inches. Most Lake Erie anglers troll for steelhead in deep waters using spoons with divers or downriggers until fish move close to shore in the fall. The daily bag limit remains at five fish per angler from May 16 through August 31, and two fish per angler between September 1 and May 15, 2017. A 12-inch minimum size limit is in effect throughout the year.

White Bass
White bass continue to provide excellent seasonal fishing opportunities in the Maumee and Sandusky rivers and in the open lake. The 2016 catch will be dominated by fish from the 2012 and 2010 year classes. A few fish from the 2007 hatch could be as large as 16 inches. Anglers should focus on major Western Basin tributaries during May and June and nearshore areas of the open lake during the summer. There is no white bass daily bag limit or size limit.

Other Species
Bays, harbors and main lake shorelines offer excellent fishing for panfish, as well as occasional northern pike and muskie in vegetated areas. Anglers are reminded that fishing conditions on Lake Erie can change hourly, and adjustments are often necessary to improve success. Anglers should take into account factors such as water temperature, cloud cover, water clarity, boat traffic, wave action, structure, currents and the amount of baitfish in the area. Anglers are also reminded to carefully monitor Lake Erie weather and to seek safe harbor before storms approach.

Updated Lake Erie fishing reports are available at wildohio.gov or by calling 888-HOOKFISH (888-466-5347). Information is available from ODNR staff from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays at the Fairport Harbor station (440-352-4199) for the Central Basin and at Sandusky Station (419-625-8062) for the Western Basin.
Information on the Lake Erie research and management programs, fisheries resources, fishing reports, maps and links to other Lake Erie web resources are available at wildohio.gov.

Edited by yellowpike

dukhnter8 was at cat today the answer to your questions about docks is nothing yet and hidden harbor is not open either yet if you launch at state launch stay to the sides their are post in middle of launch where docks go and you could get hung up on them it happened the other day to a guy. also see you are from attica me too

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics