Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have a question - wondering if anyone else has had this happen - or a mechanic my be able to provide some information.

I have a Grady White Volvo engine - boat starts up no problem - idles 15 / 20 seconds and completely stops. Try to start again - wont start. Open the engine cover and I think I smelled the odor of gas.

I appreciate any ones help - the season is just starting and I am still at the dock.

Thank you for your help and information

I have a question - wondering if anyone else has had this happen - or a mechanic my be able to provide some information.
I have a Grady White Volvo engine - boat starts up no problem - idles 15 / 20 seconds and completely stops. Try to start again - wont start. Open the engine cover and I think I smelled the odor of gas.
I appreciate any ones help - the season is just starting and I am still at the dock.
Thank you for your help and information
U out of SBH?

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Sounds like a fuel problem.  Check/change fuel filters.  If you have carburetor then might be needle and seat sticking or float stuck.  Carb might need rebuild.  When it stops is it flooded?  Or does it act starved for fuel?

2 hours ago, Puking Dog said:

When's the last time you replaced fuel/water separator ?

the water separator can be cause major headaches. sounds like a fuel problem. and the water can be your problems.

2 hours ago, Puking Dog said:

if you have the old type gas line you might want to replace them. some times the old line  will get stopped up from the inner lining gets stopped up from using regular gas. when the lining comes apart inside the line stopping the gas flow to the motor. what you should do is to take a small gas tank with gas and bypass the main line. hook up the portable tank and see if it will run.

Some what of an update - still no start. once in a while boat starts. but will not start right up again. Replaced the coil, replaced blown fuse leading tt ignition switch. Adjusted butterfly on the choke? And suggestions

i'm still guessing its not getting fuel or your getting to mush fuel. tapping the carb pretty hard with the handle of a large screwdriver might fix the problem if the needle valve is stuck. another thing that might be causing your problem is the fuel pump is bad. what motor are you running?? is it a outboard or mercruiser?? either one being bad could cause it to start up and run the gas out of the carb but once it does then it wont get any more gas causing it to die and not start back up. do you have a mechanical or a electrical?? all the mechanical fuel pumps that i've seen uses a rubber diaframe. if they teal or gets a hole in it your motor will starve for fuel.

• Like 1

I went back and read your post again. now I know it has a volvo . my mercruiser has an electric that was put in with the new motor. but it wont start pumping without oil pressure. so if it sets for a time it is a bit** to get it started. what I do is start it by priming it and keep the motor running long enough for the pump to start fueling.

so it is important to know if it has electric pump? if yours has the electric pump that only starts pumping with oil pressure then try priming it by pouring about 1 or 2 ounces of gas down in the carb. and if your bold enough to keep pouring enough gas in the carb and see if it will keep running on its own after about a minute or a litte longer. but you may not have an electric or it may have an electric that doesn't need oil pressure to pump. take a gas line loose and have someone crank it over while you watch and see if its pumping gas.

are you making sure the choke is working. motors are extreamely cold natured if the choke isn't working. I have a 5.7 mercruiser. I don't think it would start before it run the battery down without the choke. make sure its working when you try starting your motor.

1 hour ago, sherman brown said:

I guess thats why mine wont pump if it doesn't have oil pressure. once the engine stops so does the pump.

Hey everyone - thanks for the advice and impute!

I have been still addressing the issue.

as of now - still no start,

new plugs, cap, rotor, wires

new coil.

What it comes down to - in my own world - not getting a spark to ignite the fuel!

Make any sense. Any further advice 

there is a simple way to see if your getting power to your plugs. remove a plug wire hold it about 1/8" from the block and have someone crank the motor. if its getting power the spark will just from the wire to the block.

the throttle position sensor could be bad. it shuts the motor down for just a second while its going into gear. or the sensor could be bad. this would cause it not to start. another way to see if its getting a spark would be to get a can of starting fluid spray some down the carb then crank the motor over. if it starts its a fuel problem. if it doesn't at least you know it not getting power to the plug.