Closing of Sturgeon Pt for 2023

Sturgeon Point is indeed open for 2023.

I stopped in yesterday (Aug 9) to see what breakwall repair looks like.

Hope it works, because it doesn't look much different to me than it was.

Launch fee $15 as stated above.

Wet Slips are about 1/3 full

Only about 10 boats in dry slips.

Harbour opening looks wide and deep from launch area.

Sign at launch says they have ice and worms at $5/doz

Watched some poor dude slide his boat off the trailer into the concrete way too early because he unhooked his winch and safety chain before backing down the ramp. Heard the lower unit or hull crash into concrete in shallow water. Parked his trailer and boat was still floating when I left. Hope he didn't go out into lake because it was pretty rough and windy. Maybe he was just going to his slip for the season. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As the Lake Erie surface waters  temperatures increase, the better fishing moves to the west and deeper waters. By the Fourth of July, the better fishing moves west of Sturgeon Point.  Trailer boaters pay to the state sales taxes, registration fees, fuel taxes and assorted sport fishing sales taxes. Yet our elected officials are ignorant of our needs and use the revenues generated by trailer boaters and others without a good response to our needs all along the lakeshore. There is no one best site for the year and we need establish more sites, not just dump money in the same old established sites.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is a thought.

Take the 53 million dollars that NYS is giving in prepaid credit cards to border jumpers, and build a new marina on Lake Erie. Then let the border trespassers work there at $5 per hour until their court date comes up. After court sends them back where they came from, bring in a new batch. They can be housed at Gowanda prison that Democrats closed after releasing all the other criminals that used to live there, while they wait on court date.

Win Win Win

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2024 at 10:25 AM, tspulecki said:

Hamburg has talked about building a state of the art marina between Hamburg Beach and Lago.  

Haven't heard any updates lately.  A private partner with cash (Paladino) could really move things along.

What is Lago?

This picture is from end of break wall looking at gas dock on March 5 2024.

Sand bar is definitely better than years past, considering the lake was open all winter.

Don't know how deep it is from end of sand bar to end of gas dock wall because there is no way to get down there without my canoe or kayak. Looks like a much easer dredge jog, so the wall repair job was not a total waste of money.  Fingers crossed!

SP 3-2024.jpg

Has anyone contacted the awful nice lady aka town supervisor to see what’s going on with the marina this year?… after all she still clipped us 15 to launch there again after chucky bailed the old bat out…

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

High wind storms stir the bottom of the near shore waters and when they find an area with lesser currents like the lee side of Sturgeon Point and any other points the suspended sand settles to the bottom and shallows things up. It is a natural condition that happens there and Hamburg Town Park and Woodlawn Beach shores. You can not beat "Mother Nature" until you understand annual dredging is necessary the same as our roads need  to have the snow plowed. The only answer is to dredge annually or find a better launch site where a creek cuts its outlet open annually. Eighteen Mile, Sisters, Cattaraugus etc. Dunkirk Harbor is a long trip to drive to and from daily but Crystal Beach , Ontario built a boat harbor with an outlet in deeper water if you care to look it up. Plenty of parking, good ramps in deeper water not in the lee side of the lake currents. The old Bethlehem Steel waters are deeper off shore of the slag fills along with Smokes Creek. But some obstructionists will bring up the walleye spawning effect  but Ohio has plenty of walleyes with no seasons or closed areas. Dunkirk Harbor has outlets in deeper water that does not sand up. It just is too long a drive back and forth. The Small Boat Harbor is grid locked on weekends and holidays. Someday after we are gone things could happen, but do not bet on it now.

Jimdski 

There was a similar problem with a launch ramp in Oregon some years ago.  Here is an article on how they 'fixed' the problem with annual sediment gathering at the launch.

https://marineboard.wordpress.com/2016/07/29/the-concrete-truth-about-boating-access-improvements-the-cedaroak-boat-ramp-example/

It may not be feasible at The Point due to the cost at today's prices.  But, without the cost of the annual dredging it may be doable.  It's something to think about anyway.....

Wen late summer water temperatures on the surface exceed 72 degrees F. the perch will suspend up to 30 plus feet off the bottom near the Canadian line then and you will raise your minnow baits then off the near bottom. The perch schools will be dense then and catching is easy.

45 minutes ago, Jimdski said:

After half the summer is gone and the fishery moves to the west, it will open then????????

The whole deal is a joke.  If they aren't going to hire a responsible architect to design a inlet that won't sand in monthly then contract a company to keep it cleared.  All the work they did last spring obviously didn't help matters.  And million plus waisted money is gone. On top of that the state will simply move on using money elsewhere.  Sturgeon  Pt had it chance to make it right and blew it. 

I just dropped off my payment for a 2024 wet slip (3/21/2024)

They said the marina will be open on schedule and the dredging will be completed.

Relax and see how it goes. 

Lots of people are not returning to their 22 ft slips. 

I had 10 people ahead of me on the waiting list and I got in yesterday. 

Had my pick of many available slips.

I will make regular fishing reports when I get out.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Puking Dog said:

I just dropped off my payment for a 2024 wet slip (3/21/2024)

They said the marina will be open on schedule and the dredging will be completed.

Relax and see how it goes. 

Lots of people are not returning to their 22 ft slips. 

I had 10 people ahead of me on the waiting list and I got in yesterday. 

Had my pick of many available slips.

I will make regular fishing reports when I get out.

Thanks Dog....

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics