Closing of Sturgeon Pt for 2023

26 minutes ago, Jimdski said:

Where can you park your car and trailer along the Hamburg shoreline? The Sturgeon Point Breakwater Repair had nothing to do with the Boat Launching Sites.  The sandbar formed this winter is as bad as ever.

What are you trailering? 

Dredging to start in a few weeks???? , not just  year the lake boating is and has been open all most of winter. Come on now, get real to the fishing going on all winter.  Boat loads of perch have came in all winter and the dredge gods still have their thumbs stuck some where else.

The warm winter has open fishing water all winter. "Boxed out" limits of yellow perch came in for years now, including this winter, but launching docks are not even being consider, by the old timers who have "no interest into getting out" they run these meetings of clubs ! But that means more perch for the real fishermen. The next move will be to put a season to protect the spawning in New York waters. The walleye season was started at these meetings but the Ohio biologists kept that season closing off the books, they have more walleyes and non resident fishing licenses sold there.

NY could care less. It's always been that way.  With the talk of putting turbines in eries waters to planting those things all across the country sides.  The management of a panfish limit by my thoughts hasn't produced more fish. Some inland lakes are void of some species because limit fishing through the ice has stripped out egg laiden fish.  Erie is a vast body of water it's sustained itself for the most but still market fishing isn't a smart idea. If your idea of bragging about boxing out is what gets you off nothing anyone would say will change your mind.  All I know is having that sandbar year in year out has pretty much screwed with my enjoyment. Same as on a mild year like we had over winter why couldn't a single launch dock be left in for those diehard who would use them. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Coldfeet said:

NY could care less. It's always been that way.  With the talk of putting turbines in eries waters to planting those things all across the country sides.  The management of a panfish limit by my thoughts hasn't produced more fish. Some inland lakes are void of some species because limit fishing through the ice has stripped out egg laiden fish.  Erie is a vast body of water it's sustained itself for the most but still market fishing isn't a smart idea. If your idea of bragging about boxing out is what gets you off nothing anyone would say will change your mind.  All I know is having that sandbar year in year out has pretty much screwed with my enjoyment. Same as on a mild year like we had over winter why couldn't a single launch dock be left in for those diehard who would use them. 

The only time NYS cares is when they can garner votes or a voting group.  Special interest (feel group) groups are all the rage in Albany and Washington.  In an effort to increase or sustain its population, maybe perch should have the same season as walleye.  The number of perch that are caught with a belly full of eggs is staggering.  As far as the boat launch at Sturgeon Point, my guess is that liability may come into play to some degree.  Sad, but true, it's astounding the number of people who want to 'get rich quick' because somebody didn't do this or didn't do that.  

• Like 1

Taking fish is fine. Over harvesting is another. Selling is greed.  With the internet and fishing sites. It's become a norm for guys to brag about their success. All you need to do is post you boxed out at any given area and you can bet the next day you'd have 50 guys there.  I've seen it on lakes where species get wiped out or numbers decline so bad that catching a species which was holding it's own are almost non existent.  I'm surely not against those who go out and catch fish take them home and share them or eat them themselves. It's what I do. But within reason too.  We all know most species now are egg laiden.  So simply return some of them if possible to keep the lakes self sustaining. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Coldfeet said:

I agree, if someone wants to go out on the lake anytime of year we should have a launch site open and access to the lake!

Wake them up, our state and County politicians collect the boating sales taxes, registration fees, license fees, fuel taxes,.etc. so why to have to wait for local Town officials, who control things here, delay the use of our boats?

It's typicle.  They don't want to hire PT help to watch the marina. I do understand if weather didn't allow safe boating. Such as ice or extreme high waters to launch safely then keep it closed. But this winter was beyond mild. No reason not to adjust accordingly. There is no reason not to have at least one launch ramp In place. I know I would use it when weather permits to be out on the lake.  Funny how Ohio is taking in thousands of dollars this time of year from sportsman utilizing Eries waters

• Like 1

All of Ohio's shore line caters to fishing and using the lake year round!  Again NY sucks when it comes to using OUR natural resources!  Look at Erie Basin marina they not only close it up They barriacade the ramps!   We should be able to get in our lakes when ever we want all year long!  Its bad enough most ramps and docks don't even go in until the middle of May or the week before the season opens.   All total BS!

I worked real hard trying to.get Erie Basin Marina Launch Open Year-round. The two answers I got back was "NO" because Union would require the Marina Guard be on duty and Icing of steep ramp has had truck & trailered boats slide right into the water.
We did have success getting Safe Boat Harbor Open year-round, but no snow removal and ice in closure.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mostlymuskies said:

I worked real hard trying to.get Erie Basin Marina Launch Open Year-round. The two answers I got back was "NO" because Union would require the Marina Guard be on duty and Icing of steep ramp has had truck & trailered boats slide right into the water.
We did have success getting Safe Boat Harbor Open year-round, but no snow removal and ice in closure.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

It's just like everything else. Lawyers will F up everything, helped along by law suit happy dick wads who can't take responsibility for their own bad decisions.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 9:24 AM, lineman49 said:

I agree, if someone wants to go out on the lake anytime of year we should have a launch site open and access to the lake!

Not to be an ass, but you do have an open launch site.  The small boat harbor...it may not be convenient or where you want it, but it's there.  

• Like 2

On 3/27/2024 at 6:09 AM, Jimdski said:

The docks for mooring boats are in place but the access is still blocked by sand??????????

The docks for mooring are NOT in place. The docks for most of the bigger boats are floating sort of kind of near where they belong but they are not attached to the steel pilings. There are no walkways from shore to the docks on any of the docks. The launch and return docks are still in the parking lot. Most of the smaller boat docks over by the hot dog stand are also not in the water. I was there 4/6/2024 around 3:30. Nobody working on Saturday.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics