Hi All,

I have never fished Lake Erie but am visiting family mid-July in Cleveland and would like to make the trip out.  I troll Ontario and the Finger Lakes quite a bit as well as jig Oneida Lake here in NY.  I have been sorting through old posts for the past few weeks trying to find a good starting point for Mid-July out of Cleveland.  Sounds like worm harnesses and Bombers are the way to go in conjunction with dipseys, riggers and leadcore.  Does anyone use blade baits and bucktail jigs to jig up walleye like we do on Oneida?  Are the fish mostly suspended or bottom-oriented?  Thank you all for your input and I can't wait to get out and fish the mighty Erie!

Sully

• Like 1

In the past when I’ve fished off Cleveland it was an open water bite and by mid July likely offshore.  Think planer boards, divers approach would be more productive than jigging as the fish are relating more to bait than structure.  You could fish NY water off Dunkirk or the Catt to try Erie fishing before heading west.

• Like 2

There's a killer jig bite (blades & bucktails) pre & post spawn (march-april) in the far western basin...shallow..less than 20 fow. As season progresses into summer with fish moving deeper and little to no structure, it becomes a trolling game by 98% of the fisherman. As you know, Oneida has a ton of structure, which tends to concentrate fish longer and extends the jig bite thru June...if you want numbers in July, troll. However you may be able to box some fish drifting

Sent from my SM-G970U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 2

Surface water temperatures call for "West of Silver Creek, NY" when 70 degree plus surface temperatures are there. Thermoclines form out deep and the bait is there feeding on the plankton and other critters down there. You will find perch ten foot solid on the bottom and walleyes swimming above them. East winds cause a lot of temperature changes and things are best when the usual prevailing southwest winds are present. You will be fishing 65 to 80 foot of water there or even deeper.

i fish geneva just a few miles east of cleveland. mid july the fishing is usually hot but you need to fish 70'+. the spoon bite with divers are great. but harnesses and cranks are good choices. if you use boards you should get 3 oz inline weights from rebnekoutfitters.com to get down to the fish. but i like divers. i also use downriggers with a 25' lead with shallow bandits. cleveland should be about the same as geneve. 

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics