Fixing Dock Rash

Nalod

It is amazing how some things will irritate you to insanity...and yet nobody else even notices (or frankly cares)!  I was fishing a tournament last year and left the boat at the dock overnight (for quick deployment the morning of the tourney).  Unfortunately, the winds picked up, the motion of the boat pushed up my boat bumper and put it up on the dock and then the dock rubbed and rubbed and...well, you get the idea.

I have been told to stop over to a Carquest to have them use their computer to get a close match of the color and then make up a spray can of that color.  Then I should sand the area, prime, and then paint (thin layers, feathering the paint to help it blend in).  I was excited to give this a try until the rep at Carquest recommended that the feathering should be about 3 feet around the (about) 8 inch spot!  Now I fear that I am just going to make it worse than it already is.

Anyone else go through this process already?

Thoughts and/or other options are always appreciated.  Thanks.

--Joe

IMG_1064.JPG

Edited by Nalod

you should be fine using the feathering. just start small and work you way out, make sure you get a self ecching primer or it will just peel off after a year or so.

anything is better than what you have now. You can also have them make up a can of regular paint and one can that is more thinner in it and less paint, it makes the feathering easier

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the responses, guys.  I just got my boat back from the mechanic last week...motor broke down earlier in the summer.  I am hoping to work on this sometime this week/next.  I have bought the primer and the color-matched paint, so I am going to try the sand/feather/paint approach.  I will try the paint first and then will resort to decals if it looks bad!  haha!

Spending Overtime:  I really like my boat.  It is a 17.5' boat, walk-thru windshield, extremely wide, and deep.  I sometimes wish it was a little heaver for bigger water, but I feel very safe in anything on inland lakes and anything under 3' on erie/ontario.  My boat is an all-weld.  I have not had any problems with this, but I know some guys prefer the rivets and others like the welds.  Honestly, I think either could give you a problem at some point...  Hope that helps!

--Joe

• 2 months later...

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics