Fishing the Niagara river for first time

I plan on fishing the lower Niagara for the first time soon and have a few questions.  The plan is to drift for steelhead/salmon.  What launch is best to use?  What areas are best to drift?  Which lures/bait are best?  Are there any good tackle stores nearby?  I'm assuming most people use three way rigs to fish there?  thanks in advance for your help.

I fished it once with my own rig. Launched out of Lewistown and ran up river to Artpark Devil's Hole area. Got in line with everybody and drifted 3 way with skein and pencil sinkers.   Made two drifts then shift cable broke. You will need an electric trolling motor to slow down drift. Best to go with someone who has done it there before or spend the cash and charter to learn all the little tricks. After watching several YouTube videos from people catching kings there, I might not even went because it looks like whitewater fishing. But there is some slack water also. Good Luck. 

Levelwind 

We went up on Saturday and gave it a try.  The first couple of drifts were a little nerve wracking due to all the boats, we counted 22 I think.  After a couple of drifts we kid of got the hang of it.  I ended up catching a walleye on and egg sack which was a first for me.  We did not catch any salmon, only 17 were caught all morning according from the DEC guy at the launch.  I will skip the weekend trips from now on and go up during the week.  The fishing was a little too close for comfort with that many boats out.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics