Fishing Maumee Bay during walleye run?

New to the whole Lake Erie Walleye thing and wondered if you could go out during the run and jig in the bay for them instead of standing arm in arm in the river. It would still be a single hook rule with the 4 fish limit also. Just wondered how many of you try this and how far away you have to launch a boat from.

Thanks Greg

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, walleyehunter45 said:

I am not sure where to go around maumee but port Clinton you only need to go 1/4 to 1/2 mike off shore. Find the reefs and you will find walleye. Jigging.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

if you have a boat the reefs are a good way to catch fish without bumping shoulders with the guys on both sides of you. i recommend you try to find a couple of open seats with others that can teach you reef fishing. i use 20# braid main line with a 3' 15# seaguar fluro leader with a jig anywhere from 3/4 to 1 oz with a stinger hook and a shiner.

Edited by sherman brown

Thank you. I have boat but have not had it on Erie yet. I’m still finishing rigging it for Erie. I still have radio to install and buy antenna mount and antenna. I also still need to pick up a flare gun. I’m more than willing to try it but I know safety is number one and I wouldn’t want to risk it over some fish. I will also have to watch forecast for winds cause I would not be into the large wave days at all with my small boat. Also is there an app or forecast.com for Erie that you guys use?

Thanks

• what size boat do you have? i wouldn't go out on erie in anything less than a 16' or 17' deep v. and them only on good days. as for weather apps theres some good ones out there but i don't know them off hand. you can do a search on the web for lake erie weather. i just use the weather channel on my radio and the weather forcast. but mostly i use common sense. once you get the safety gear you can launch and be fishing the reefs in 10 minutes. you'll also want a good drift or trolling bag to slow your drift if needed.

i have 36" bags for trolling with my 21' cobia with a 350 mercruiser. it slows me way down. i thing you could get by with a much smaller bag than 50". if its windy enough to need 2 50" bags then your not going to be on the water. i would contact amishoutfitters.com and tell them what you have and what you need them for and they'll sell you the right size bags.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics