Smart Troll

Smart Troll

Is anyone using a Smart Troll? Like to hear your feed back on it. Thinking of buying either A smart Troll with speed and two temp depth sensors or a Fish Hawk. Fish Hawk has been around for a long time and has proven itself. but to have a probe small enough that you can get running depth of your divers and even lures sounds like a great deal. I just don't want to plop down 1k plus on  a system that doesn't work or isn't reliable. I fish Erie for walleye, Michigan for Salmon and mostly Superior for Lakers and an occasional salmon. I think If I could really dial in things on Superior, I could catch Salmon more consistently. Your feedback would be appreciated.

I had the same problem this winter in deciding on a temp probe, but with the fact that the smart troll was $$$$ and the fish hawk has been around a long time I went with the fish hawk. I don't like the idea of having a expensive proble on my line I would rather have it on my downrigger cable that is more reliable. I also found a deal for them at Northwoods Wholesale Outlet Inc. but it dose not look like they carry them anymore. 

Fish Hawk all the way! The smart troll is waaayyyyy too expensive and waaayyyyyy too glitchy I know 5 guys that have it on their boats, and only 1 works well and 2 don't work at all. Also remember anything you add to your line will change the depth. I had a guy running a smart troll try to tell me a 10 color lead core was only diving 27 feet deep while he was trolling along side me. While my 10 colors were hitting bottom in 50 feet of water. JMO on this issue.

I'm using sub troll but they went out of business. They work well if you can get a used one at a good price. So far you can still get parts.  I did lose a probe once when down rigger cable let lose and that cost me over 2 hundred plus the 50 dollar ball. Antenna connection is kind of cheesy but not to hard to improve. Also using ship to shore radio mic messes up the readout, but that's only when talking. Then it returns to normal. Sub troll needs a special coated down rigger cable but that's not hard to find. All and all the sub troll is a quality product and easy to use. Just don't let rookies operate the rigger with the probe unless you have auto stop.

Edited by Puking Dog

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

We run it on Lake Ontario, and for dipsey diver fishing it's pretty amazing knowing where your divers are at. One day back in 2016 we noticed a 19' difference switching from an East troll to a West troll. I would also say the speed probe is a nice probe. It will give you a recent speed and an average speed, which is nice on rough days.

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics