Walleye Fishing shallow night time

Generally it's all the eater sized males, which is what I'm after anyway. Sometimes we hook into a decent one but I've never caught any over 7-8 lbs in a spring night trip. I sight fish them on spot lock sometimes to with a headlamp as long as it's calm out. That is an absolute blast. I use the terrova as autopilot when trolling for salmon and walleye, with the big motor as thrust. Once you try that, you'll be spoiled. Lol. I would love to add a kicker and upgrade to the 36v ultrex but I'm looking into upgrading electronics this year

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

We catch all the eyes we want just off the reefs in the day time and we are all alone. Move out to 20 to 30 ft and run two and three colors with sticks. They are usually glued to the bottom. We do a lot of s patterns in our trolling pattern dropping the baits to there face. 

• Like 2

We catch all the eyes we want just off the reefs in the day time and we are all alone. Move out to 20 to 30 ft and run two and three colors with sticks. They are usually glued to the bottom. We do a lot of s patterns in our trolling pattern dropping the baits to there face. 

I do the same bouncing harnesses. There's just something about hitting WOT, with a cooler full of perfect eaters, on a calm night, with the lights on the shoreline. My favorite part of the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

19 hours ago, RD9 said:

1.5 - 2.2 mph?

Dunkirk NY. I'm sure you can do it off any reef in NY. It's just that the old school way of thinking is that those fish feed during the night and that the water is to cold or something.  Most ny guys start fishing in late May and bitch about water temp or waiting for fish to swim from Ohio. They are just miss informed. 

IMG_1279.PNG

Edited by RD9
Add pic
  • Like 1

During the spring night bite?...i work nights so i never can get out for it

Sent from my SM-G930P using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Dunkirk NY. I'm sure you can do it off any reef in NY. It's just that the old school way of thinking is that those fish feed during the night and that the water is to cold or something.  Most ny guys start fishing in late May and bitch about water temp or waiting for fish to swim from Ohio. They are just miss informed. 
IMG_1279.thumb.PNG.68cd7a6474880b5bb3880190b9ffafae.PNG

I would prob tend to agree..as the western basin boys catch them all year long...Feb, March, April, May

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

one thing that is a struggle in the locations on this end is the structure. If you are going to troll segmented cores in tight and you want to catch these fish. Prepare yourself to loose some gear. We do catch em on deep husky jerks on mono but a two or three color with your stick just off the bottom on you're turns can be frustrating. We always giggle we are coming in while the night time guys are going out. 

one thing that is a struggle in the locations on this end is the structure. If you are going to troll segmented cores in tight and you want to catch these fish. Prepare yourself to loose some gear. We do catch em on deep husky jerks on mono but a two or three color with your stick just off the bottom on you're turns can be frustrating. We always giggle we are coming in while the night time guys are going out. 

RD..have you ever tried running 3 way swivel rigs w boards to keep your sticks tight to the bottom & in the zone? Seems like maybe less gear may be list that way, but still near bottom

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics