Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Youngblood

Walleye Lamprey sores on Walleye

Lamprey sores on Walleye

So far this year I have caught 2 Walleye with what appeared to be Lamprey wounds on them. Sores were round shaped and pretty fresh. I have only been fishing Erie for a few years and don't recall ever catching any with sores like these in the past. Are some years just worse than others ?  I know they both spawn about the same time and maybe it just over lapped more this year than other years I have fished. Anyone else catching any like this so far this year ?

We used to catch several walleye each year in the 1980's out of Northeast marina. Most still had the lamprey still attached

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

For a non chemical control of lampreys we could stick striped bass in the lake. Eels are a favorite bait for stripers and they reach weights of sixty pounds which will give you a good tussle.

If they could get all the different game and fish departments in all the states and countries to agree it would be a miracle. They won't do it because as far as I know they would be considered a invasive species.

Hybrid stripers are sterile and not reproductive. As for a good fight they are not using reproductive energy, just good fighting energy.

I have caught a lot of hybrids down here in OK. Erie has white bass already and that is half of a hybrid striper. Do white bass eat lampreys? Just wondering.