Michigan DEC JUST ANNOUNCES NO EAT FISH ADVISORY to L. Erie

ciscokid

The volume of the Huron river is pretty small when compared to the Detroit or Maumee.  So if the contaminants are associated with just that river basin, the effects are probably negligible. If the contaminants are more widespread, then it's a valid concern depending on the concentrations. More to come..............

• Like 1

Just talked with 4 different NYS DEC people from 716, and 518 area codes as those are the contamination people in 518. There were clueless regarding the Michigan Huron River no eat fish advisory extending to Lake Erie. They haven't tested for this chemical in fish but only in drinking water. I had to tell him that fishermen at the cleaning stations would volunteer to provide fish for testing. They just hired a chemist and purchased a  new spectrometer and are developing a protocol. I told him call Michigan they probably already have a protocol. The chemical is a fire retardant and is used waterproofing materials.  It is one of the main chemicals used in the manufacture of GORTEX. They all admitted that Michigan was way ahead of NYS. What else is new????

From following links in that article to other articles, it looks like those contaminates may have been entering the groundwater everywhere for many years. It was (or maybe still is) being used in Teflon, firefighting foam, fire retardant products, Gortex, stain fighters and other waterproofing products for many years. Those products have been in such widespread use that the contamination is likely everywhere. EPA has been trying to downplay it. They seem to be highly influenced or maybe controlled by industry representatives, especially since the beginning of the Trump administration and the appointment of Pruit to head the agency.

Had Wayne from the DEC in 518 area code called me yesterday and told me in 2011 & 2012  three walleyes yes only 3 walleyes were tested from Lake Erie for the  Michigan Huron River Chemicals. Yes there were those specific chemicals in those walleyes but not at a high enough level to cause concern. However he admitted 3 walleyes was to small a sample to be significant. He suggested we fisherman continue to follow the current NYS L. Erie advisory for the consumption of fish.  Wayne said now that he was made aware of the Michigan situation he has already  talked to Michigan DEC people.  He told me there is current netting going on in L. Erie and some of these fish will be tested but the results won't be known for months. I suggest everyone call their local Dec offices to discuss this situation this will  keep their feet to the fire. Yes it is very wide spread nasty chemical that is water soluble in lakes, rivers and ground water it is a "forever chemical" and doesn't break down for a long long time. It is also very volatile so it can get airborne so it can travel and be spread by clouds and rain. Is it currently banned from use in the USA??? I'd like to know.

The Next BIG issue is HOW MUCH Roundup is being sprayed on current food  crops and is now in our food supply at stores.  Roundup also evaporates when sprayed and is spread by clouds and rain. Do you know anyone one who has had cancer or died from cancer? I personally have had cancer.  Now your  beginning to know why!!!  To many chemicals in our environment that simple. Google crops sprayed with Roundup if you want to learn more. Good Fishing and tight lines.

FLASH! FLASH! Here is a CURRENT LINK to a current PFOS fish article put out by the NYS DEC. The east end DEC people recognize the chemical issue now we need to make sure our Lake Erie west folks recognize the gravity of the issue and are also on the ball. IMPORTANT!!!!!

https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/110848.html

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics