Jump to content

Tiller

Members
  • Posts

    99
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Tiller

  1. Please let me know, I’m curious to know exact counts, I know they been dropping consistently since the walleye boom. Walleye are cool but I’m a diehard perch guy
  2. This past Spring was incredible but perch numbers are still down to what they once were. Erie is well and alive brother enjoy out there
  3. And when the walleye population was low the perch fishing was outstanding. I’m not justifying anything as I personally quit fishing once a full limit is achieved but I personally believe catch and release is more successful out there then you believe
  4. And catch and release fishing doesn’t? Gut hooked fished, taking countless pictures of fish, poor handling. What about the eyes, sheephead and bass caught while early season perch fishing. There will always be mortality related to any fishing. The key is to be smart about what you should keep and what has an actual chance at survival post release
  5. They release fine in most instances, look at the condition of the fish, watch it swim right back down to depth on a graph. You’d be surprised
  6. I’m gonna give it a rip tomorrow after work. With eyes as a safe backup plan. Tried a few times while out for walleye without much to show. There’s been so much bait on the bottom lately
  7. Anyone spotting any good perch schools?
  8. Going east was the ticket for success yesterday. 18 landed from 630-830. Everything was high 20’ down over 63fow. Sticks spoons and harnesses all took fish on 2oz snap weights. Dark colors were best
  9. Those high volume catch rate days I’m keeping 0 fish or maybe 2 or 3. The studies and general consensus is rapidly changing on deep water fishing. Depth of water isn’t necessarily a death sentence on species like walleye that will tend to suspend. Just because your fishing 185fow if the fish are only down 30-40fow the pressure change isn’t that drastic. perch caught from even as low as 30 fow seem to suffer the most from barotrauma. And deep water lakers which is wildly accepted as a fish you can target in deep water need the most time to make sure you can burp them before releasing
  10. I use my best judgment while out there. I believe a lot more of the walleye caught out deep will survive. The main thing is using good judgment. Any fish that has the stomach popping out, bulging eyes. Dull gills or seems to be weak is kept. Once I’m at a limit and wouldn’t be able to keep fish that wouldn’t release I stop fishing. If I go to release one that floats up I reel in and turn around to grab it. Most of the time fish that are released can be seen on the graph shooting instantly back to depth and it’s accepted fish that can get back down to depth have high rates of survival. I’m sure some have suffered delayed mortality but once again using good judgment on what to keep and what will have a high chance of survival post release is the key. By no means am I trying to kill a bunch of fish. Also fish that seem relatively healthy but can’t get back down can be held straight up burping their air and they will shoot down instantly. Watch the graph make sure they get down. Once you’re at full limit call it quits. Be smart and use your head is how I’ve always gone about it
  11. As great as this season has been with steady high catch rates for the most part, I haven’t been able to get on those really epic slams. last year by this time I had two truly banner days, the first out of Hamburg fishing first and last night in the same spot to boat 73. The second coming early August a year ago today out of sp in 60fow racking up 82 in 5 hours. a clicker counter makes keeping track easy within a fish or two. So far this year the top two days being 40+ east of Catt and 45 in 185fow. With a couple months left of real good walleye bite I haven’t given up hope and the pursuit for the slams continue.
  12. Things seem quite inconsistent since the turn over. Hopefully it’ll set back up soon. Back on the search for good action. Good luck tomorrow
  13. Fished out of the Catt last night, fished from mid 60s to 70s. Blank screen. Ran out to 85 not much better, picked 3 eyes on sticks. Found an excellent looking perch school in 80. Spent 30 minutes on them without a bite. Tough going for me. Will be working more eastern waters the next few days.
  14. Absolute walleye slaughter out in 185fow targeting steelhead rn lol. I think there’s just too many eyes at this point. Over 35 eyes on spoons and dipseys
  15. I scouted inshore a little bit, once I saw the temps I knew to run out deep. Baits placed approx. 17-24 down. Need boards when your running that high
  16. Launched from the Catt but headed quite a bit west basically infront of Dunkirk
  17. Fished offshore and deep today, fish were a bit more scattered then they have been. Everything was 20-30 down over 85-90. Full spread of 2oz snap weights and boards absolutely crushed them
  18. Heavy north east winds the next few days will definitely stir the pot
  19. I use the bottom bouncers with the wire. I’ll tie my harnesses 6-8’ off that. And if I’m using cranks or spoons I’ll tie a liter off the bouncer about the same length. As long as you can go with still being able to net fish
  20. Back to yesterday’s spot in the low 70s. Set up at 7pm had 12; 15-16” in less then 40 minutes. Fished till about 845 total was 23 landed with a good mix of size classes. Cranks on bb’s outdid harnesses today.
  21. I always use the trolling for steering and a little speed boost. Yesterday was 4 lines I don’t even bother with planers when the action is that good. Speed 1.5-1.8
  22. After several similar trips fishing offshore and east of the Catt. Decided to head west, 73 drifting into 65. It started hot and heavy right off the bat. Nonstop fast action, 5oz bb not even letting it hit bottom once as the fish were suspended about 45-50 down. Green harnesses and even a few sticks sent out there today. 18 in less then 45 minutes. Kept our 12 and headed back early to fillet and have a fire.
  23. I’ve noticed the bigger fish are the least likely to release. It’s a real shame I don’t like eating anything over 18”
  24. id estimate 10-11lbs, it was a very old fish, all efforts were made to revive and release but it had suffered some serious barotrauma. Biggest one I’ve landed since having a banner day on Christmas 2023, landing 7 over 27” with a 32” to boot jigging for perch.
  25. No problem. From what I’ve seen over the last 9 years is the lake just keeps getting better and I’m sure it’ll remain like this for years to come. Id be fine with a few less eyes around but more perch lol
×
×
  • Create New...