Sturgeon Point 2018

If your home port is Stergeon Pt , your eligible, or Have a place at Pt Breeze OR regularly launch at the Catt. Cost is 50 bucks a boat, 3 man boat limit , ALL fish cleaned for big ass fish fry and prizes awarded for big fish . I've fished it ( having a place at Pt Breeze) since it started.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Home port is SP. would happy fork over 50 to play next year. Who do I contact etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Fished Thursday (8/2) west of SP in 69 to 74 fow. Drifted with hand rod bottom bouncers to start until wind slowed. Picked up 2 on bouncers with harnesses. Then switched over to dipseys. Only 2 rods and picked up 6 more trolling back east toward SP. All on harnesses. Ran one stick for a while and it never got touched. Fun night on the water and nice sunset. All fish between 15.5 inches and 18.5 inches. Caught them down deep setting #3 with 185 to 195 ft of line out. Did see marks in the water column and plenty of bait as well. One of the eyes was regurgitating nice size slender minnows (smelt?). 

• 2 weeks later...
If your home port is Stergeon Pt , your eligible, or Have a place at Pt Breeze OR regularly launch at the Catt. Cost is 50 bucks a boat, 3 man boat limit , ALL fish cleaned for big ass fish fry and prizes awarded for big fish . I've fished it ( having a place at Pt Breeze) since it started.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Home port is SP. would happy fork over 50 to play next year. Who do I contact etc?

Fished out of Sturgeon on Monday the 13th. Caught 50 walleye.  All on spoons and most on downriggers with some on leadcore. Almost all were 15-20". No big ones.

Nice job! Thanks for the report, I haven’t been out in a while. Need to get after it but just bought a new to me vessel that needs some attention.

The reason the Battle Contest is limited to to twelve boats is the facility at Point Breeze is fully packed with participants and their families for the fish fry and celebration. Also a lot of “fish stories” are passed around.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

Fished NW out of Sturgeon Point today in 58 to 72 fow. Hand roding it with spinning gear and bottom bouncers produced our 2 man limit. Size ranged from 15.5 to 21 inches. Fishing was better after the rollers calmed down. Some large sheep head mixed in. Great day to be out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fished yesterday out of SP. Headed NW to 65 ft as a starting point. Lines in water by 12:15 pm. Had out 2 man limit by 3:15 by rod in hand harness fishing. Fish ranged in size from 17 to 21 inches. Another great day. Added bonus was about 8 nice yellow perch. Walleye bite was simply outstanding!

Back out yesterday (Friday 9/7) same area north west of SP. Started fishing around 1 PM. Slower but steady with fewer marks than Tuesday. Picked up our limit on harnesses and bottom bouncers again. 18 to 21 inch size range again. Wind picked up considerably around 4 pm making it a little interesting catching our last 3 fish and the ride back in to the marina. Had to go to a heavier bouncer to stay on fish in higher winds and waves. Looks like high wind and waves over next few days. Hope the fish do not move?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

Back out yesterday (Friday 9/7) same area north west of SP. Started fishing around 1 PM. Slower but steady with fewer marks than Tuesday. Picked up our limit on harnesses and bottom bouncers again. 18 to 21 inch size range again. Wind picked up considerably around 4 pm making it a little interesting catching our last 3 fish and the ride back in to the marina. Had to go to a heavier bouncer to stay on fish in higher winds and waves. Looks like high wind and waves over next few days. Hope the fish do not move?

Hi Stillwater- I'm new to the site and trying to understand how you're your fishing. Are you drifting and bottom bouncing with worm harnesses? It seems to work good for you.

Yes, I am drifting in the direction the wind is blowing me. Not sure if you have any "bottom bouncers" but they are simple weights designed to get your offering down near the bottom. The lead is usually molded on a wire that enables you to attach you line above the weight and then attach your offering to the short wire arm that comes off of it. Google "bottom bouncing for walleye" or youtube it and you will see some good examples. You can run stick baits or worm harnesses off of a bottom bouncer. I find the best fishing is when the wind is around 10 mph for my boat. This keeps the blade on my harness turning. I like to lift the rod high and lower it to give the walleye a change is speed and moving target to chase. I attach the harness leader directly to the bottom bouncer snap swivel. They sell them in a variety of weights. For 65 to 70 ft of water I like 1.5 or 2 oz. in light wind and 3 oz. when it is blowing like yesterday afternoon. Let it drop all the way to the bottom until your line goes slack so you know it is on bottom. I then bring it up to the level the fish seem to like. Usually 3 to 5 feet above bottom seems to work well. Experiment with it. It is a fun way to catch walleye (my boat is not set up for serious fishing with down riggers, multiple rod holders, etc. this is why I use this approach most of the time. I do have 2 rod holders and will occasionally run 2 dipsy divers when the lake is to calm to drift.). I prefer to interact with the biting fish and the fight is good on light spinning gear.

• Like 2

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics