Upper Niagara Bait

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:32 AM, wojo said:

We are in trouble
Minnows should be plentiful . Something has happened to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Hey Wojo..... i think the problem is called: "43 million walleye in the lake right now and who knows how many perch, bass, trout & salmonoids that all consume emerald shiners for breakfast, lunch & dinner"

Hey Wojo..... i think the problem is called: "43 million walleye in the lake right now and who knows how many perch, bass, trout & salmonoids that all consume emerald shiners for breakfast, lunch & dinner"

Back in the early 50’s when you had Cazillion blue pike. You had all the minnows you wanted. It’s the zebra muscles. And gobies that are finally taking effect on the eneralds

• Like 1

Back in the early 50’s when you had Cazillion blue pike. You had all the minnows you wanted. It’s the zebra muscles. And gobies that are finally taking effect on the eneralds

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, wojo said:

I am thinking the same thing, it's the food chain & they predicted this would happen when the zebra mussels first showed up.

Zebra mussels first showed in the early to mid 80's so I don't think this shortage is related to them. I've seen in past years the problem we are having now. I believe it is cyclical as everything else in nature. Just my opinion.......

• Like 1

The Canadian commercial fishery take thousands of tons of smelt annually but American waters are untouched. They are the most dangerous invasive species predator in the lake. Yet we ignore their presence. Not only emerald shiners are their forage they decimate the fry and fingerlings of all species.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

The Canadian commercial fishery take thousands of tons of smelt annually but American waters are untouched. They are the most dangerous invasive species predator in the lake. Yet we ignore their presence. Not only emerald shiners are their forage they decimate the fry and fingerlings of all species.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

The smelt population is on the decline
There were times where you could catch all you wanted in the upper river . Not any more
Same holds true in the lower river

• 10 months later...

A few years back we had a big shortage of emerald shiners showing in the spring.But Presque Isle Bay in Pa was top to bottom emerald shiners. I think I it is more water temperature related.Once Ice Boom is removed minnows will follow Ice flow into the river.That same year Buffalo River was packed with emerald shiners at 42 degree water and Niagara River was mostly void at 37 degrees.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics