Chamberlain releases

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:41 PM, Mikfish said:

When I started using Blacks releases, I thought I finally found the perfect release. And they have been perfect for me. What makes the Chamberlain releases better?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

the chamberlain has 2 tension adjustments on then. one adjustment for tension on the rod where you set it just like a blacks. set it as tight as you want to crank your rod down as far as you want. the 2nd adjustment is how much tension you want on your lure. for spoons and harnesses set it very light so it'll trip on the smallest of fish. for deep diving cranks you may need to tighten it down just a bit. i have mine set to release on small white perch with harnesses. it take a little time and effort to get them dialed in to release on small fish and not get false releases. but once dialed in you'll love them. they are the best release out there today, and I've tried most all releases. i was using the red rubber bands thats made for releases when i found some info on the chamberlain release. did some research even contacted keith the inventor of the release. ended up buying some. now i would never give them up. in my opinion for walleye fishing on erie they are a must have for all the small fish caught there. I've fished erie for some 35+ yrs and tried many other releases over those yrs. now with the chamberlain release downrigger fishing on erie is fun to do.

the chamberlain has 2 tension adjustments on then. one adjustment for tension on the rod where you set it just like a blacks. set it as tight as you want to crank your rod down as far as you want. the 2nd adjustment is how much tension you want on your lure. for spoons and harnesses set it very light so it'll trip on the smallest of fish. for deep diving cranks you may need to tighten it down just a bit. i have mine set to release on small white perch with harnesses. it take a little time and effort to get them dialed in to release on small fish and not get false releases. but once dialed in you'll love them. they are the best release out there today, and I've tried most all releases. i was using the red rubber bands thats made for releases when i found some info on the chamberlain release. did some research even contacted keith the inventor of the release. ended up buying some. now i would never give them up. in my opinion for walleye fishing on erie they are a must have for all the small fish caught there. I've fished erie for some 35+ yrs and tried many other releases over those yrs. now with the chamberlain release downrigger fishing on erie is fun to do.
Thanks for the explanation. I watched the video and like what I saw. I started out with the conventional pinch pads. They're fine for slow trolling. Adjust them for one speed and your good. But I like trolling at all speeds. I frequently troll at 4 mph and pinch pads weren't holding, that's why I went to blacks. But what I'm seeing with chamberlain's caught my attention. Going to pick up some and give them a try. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, sherman brown said:

yeah i didn't like twisting my line at first but after some time i got over it. i had been using rubber bands for some yrs when i ran across a thread about these. i had always thought they needed something like them for fishing eyes and here it was. i just had to check them out. now i would be lost without them.

another story here. i started fishing erie's central basin with dipsies some yrs back. loved the way they worked and could run 3 per side. but ended up dragging a lot of smaller fish. switched to the deeper diver because they had no rings. i had tried rigging up some way for them to release on smaller fish with no good results. even thought about the release on the chamberlain. then i started reading about the lite bite slide diver. got some but didn't like the slide part with braided line. but i loved the lite bite feature. so i decided to use them like a dipsy. i tie to the front then tie a short piece of 65# braid to a 0-ring lace the line through the back going through the lite bite arm. then tie on my snubber and then tie on my 7' or 8' fluro leader then my harness. i do use good swivels at all connections. now i drag very few small fish around on my divers or my riggers. they will both trip on most small fish. i thought if it works on the chamberlain why not on divers. i love them both. i run 6 divers and 2 riggers on my boat and it would take a much better mouse trap to get me to switch from the lite bites or the chamberlain.

sorry for the long post. just wanted you to know about the lite bite divers for future knowledge.

Do you have a pic of your lite bite diver set up?  Would like to see it.  Thanks!

11 minutes ago, lineman49 said:

Do you have a pic of your lite bite diver set up?  Would like to see it.  Thanks!

i don't know much about doing pictures as im a little computer illiterate. i'll try to post something if i can figure everything out. but its pretty simple to do. just picture the diver and tie to the front trip arm. take a 12" to 15" piece of heavy braid and tie to an O-ring. take the other end of the line and thread it through the little block with the hole in it between the front and the lite bite arm. just like the line would go if using the slide part of the diver. now just pull the O-ring up against the front of the little block. now put the line in the lite bite arm. tie on a swivel and attach to rubber snubber. take a 6' to 8' fluro and tie a swivel on both ends and attach to the back of the snubber. now attach spoon, crank, or harness and your ready to go. i don't have long leaders on my harnesses only about 12". so the fluro leader is my leader for whatever lure i want to use. i set the front release just tight enough that im not getting false releases. then i loosen the lite bite as loose as it will go. that way even small fish will usually trip the diver. hope this helps i explained it as best as i could.

make sure and use the plastic tubing for the end of the lite bite arm to keep the line from slipping out.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The chamberlains basically eliminated the amount of fish I would drag due to my Scotty releases not popping with lite bites.  I use them now for all of my fishing...kings to walleye. 

During setup I notched the brass thumb screws with a dremel...marking my desired settings for walleye vs steelhead vs king salmon.  Takes 5 seconds to adjust now.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jigstick said:

The chamberlains basically eliminated the amount of fish I would drag due to my Scotty releases not popping with lite bites.  I use them now for all of my fishing...kings to walleye. 

During setup I notched the brass thumb screws with a dremel...marking my desired settings for walleye vs steelhead vs king salmon.  Takes 5 seconds to adjust now.  

Very good idea !!! if we ever get this season started I will do the same thanks for the tip 

Blacks releases are very similar.  Except they lack one aspect of the adjustment that the chamberlains have.  I really like to have my rods cranked down on the release when set.  That way when they pop I get solid hook sets.  The chamberlains allow you to really tailor how tight you can crank down on them.  With the Blacks releases I couldn't do that without popping the lure.

First Class Service...

I just order two Chamberlain Releases but inadvertently ordered three.  I immediately sent an e-mail message advising of my error and asked that they correct the order. One minute later I received an email message from Keith Chamberlain stating "No problem" followed by another e-mail one minute later from PayPal advising that my order had been corrected. One-half hour later I received another e-mail from Keith Chamberlain advising my package had been shipped. In my opinion, this is first-rate service.

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics