2 Tbs. Kosher Salt
1 Tbs. Cayenne Pepper
1 Cup Brown Sugar
64 Oz. Apple Juice
2 1/2 Tbs. Hot Sauce
3 Tbs. Lime Juice
½ Cup Soy Sauce
2 Tbs. Old Bay Seasoning

No need to rinse these fillets after removing from the brine. Allow to air dry for about an hr. till pellicle forms.

I used hickory this last time, but I've made it before with a combination of apple & maple or pear & apple. Any fruit wood will suffice for smoking fish. Ya just gotta experiment with what tastes best to you at the time. I keep my smoking time to the minimum because like you say it can get overpowered pretty quick and ruin a good batch. You also have to experiment with the amount of hot sauce to use for your liking.

I have a Brinkman electric that holds 3 racks. I also use the brine instead of water to fill my water pan to keep the fish moist.

Btw, it tastes real good on top of a fresh salad.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, fishmaster said:

I have a few smaller steelhead that I cleaned up but did not fillet, thinking that the fillets would end up being too thin for smoking. Will this work on whole fish with the skin on? 

Geez, I really can't say.  I'd hate to say yes & have you ruin the fish.  What I would do is, when you're ready to smoke some bigger fish, put 1 or 2 of the smaller fish in with them & take them out sooner. I'd probably put them on the rack with either the cavity propped open with something so the smoke can permeate or else put them on the rack with the cavity side down.  I'd be interested to hear how they came out so please let us know the results.  Good Luck

PS:  CharlestonFuller, hope you like it.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics