Your top three artificial's

If you could only fish three baits what would they be ? I have three spoons I will not start salmon fishing without they may change at some point in the day but I always start with them and was wondering what others would have to start there trip with on Erie

There is days that slowing down and running a worm out produces everything.  I know some guys who don't use worms but mid July till it's over a Big dipsey out 180 to 225 on a three setting is hard to beat. 

For eyes, my spoons would be Michigan stingers like you said after 3 fish there silver LOL, so this year I'm going to be runnung PowerDive's spoons awesome looking spoons, my own tied extreme slow deaths at higher speeds for that reaction bite, Bomber Long A's in black, silver and blue,silver. off the riggers 100ft or more, the best three colors for me in j13's is fluorescent orange, brown trout, fire tiger.  i make all my own worm rigs with a #5 Colorado blades, and the old Indian hatchet blades, this season will be my first time fishing the eastern basin of Erie, I have fished the western basin for 5 years then then the port Clinton, Sandusky area all with great results. I hope this year will be as good.

1 hour ago, pap said:

For eyes, my spoons would be Michigan stingers like you said after 3 fish there silver LOL, so this year I'm going to be runnung PowerDive's spoons awesome looking spoons, my own tied extreme slow deaths at higher speeds for that reaction bite, Bomber Long A's in black, silver and blue,silver. off the riggers 100ft or more, the best three colors for me in j13's is fluorescent orange, brown trout, fire tiger.  i make all my own worm rigs with a #5 Colorado blades, and the old Indian hatchet blades, this season will be my first time fishing the eastern basin of Erie, I have fished the western basin for 5 years then then the port Clinton, Sandusky , I also fished the eastern basin, but my trip was cut short due to my fathers complications with cancer, which he passed away s short time after.

38 minutes ago, pap said:

Guys I guess I have to accept the fact that I was fishing out of Dunkirk, for eyes, my father wanted me to go and that would get my mind off this cancer shyt he had we were only there for 3 days when I got the phone call to come home dad has taken a turn for the worst, they ambulanced him to ICU, I had to be there because he did not want to be on life support, which I was the executor of the will, I had to carry out his wishes. He also wanted to be at home. Hospice gave me a box and explained what it contained and what to do. My boat sat in the front yard still hooked to my truck. It looked like a jacked knife tractor trailer. My dad gave me his vehicle said he wouln't be needing it anymore, I can tell you it saw more MPH's then ever by dad. I sometimes say I fished Erie, but it's a time in my life where I need to be more open with myself. Last year I put $75 on a cabin at Blue Water camp grounds, but I cancelled it in fear of  it would bring those days I never want to go through again. This year I'm going come hell or high water. It's been 3 years now. He was my dad, my best friend, and my kids were only 2 when he passed. But they still talk about Pappy!!!     My apologies for saying I never fished Erie. Definitely out of line, when others know damn well better.  Pap

Pap, Condolences on the loss of your father. My Dad died fifty three years ago. I was eight years old. My dad introduced me and my twin to fishing at an early age. I have pictures of me at 2 years old of my first catch. A perch caught at Honeoye lake. I have brought up my 3 girls the same way I was brought up. They all fish with me to this day. I had my 2 year old Grandson on my boat this past week. A new generation is up and coming. No apologies needed for you saying you never fished Erie. If I can help you when you here let me know. More than happy to assist.

2 minutes ago, Locoman said:

Pap, Condolences on the loss of your father. My Dad died fifty three years ago. I was eight years old. My dad introduced me and my twin to fishing at an early age. I have pictures of me at 2 years old of my first catch. A perch caught at Honeoye lake. I have brought up my 3 girls the same way I was brought up. They all fish with me to this day. I had my 2 year old Grandson on my boat this past week. A new generation is up and coming. No apologies needed for you saying you never fished Erie. If I can help you when you here let me know. More than happy to assist.

Thanks Locoman, I really appreciate that, it's funny my girls are twins. This is what i have been waiting for my whole life, my girls are 11 years old. I know they need to take the boating course, but they can chauffeur my 22fter as good as some I've seen. I set lines then they get the fish rods, I help net and remove hooks. Then we give it a go again. This will be a whole new ball game, compared to our home lake. Flat and calm, main thing is the potty, girls need privacy!!!!   Same here as the way we were raised, they hunt, love to fish, play sports right now it's softball. I really hope a father and daughter TEAM!!!!!   Thanks man I'll take you up on that offer!! PAP

25 minutes ago, pap said:

Thanks Locoman, I really appreciate that, it's funny my girls are twins. This is what i have been waiting for my whole life, my girls are 11 years old. I know they need to take the boating course, but they can chauffeur my 22fter as good as some I've seen. I set lines then they get the fish rods, I help net and remove hooks. Then we give it a go again. This will be a whole new ball game, compared to our home lake. Flat and calm, main thing is the potty, girls need privacy!!!!   Same here as the way we were raised, they hunt, love to fish, play sports right now it's softball. I really hope a father and daughter TEAM!!!!!   Thanks man I'll take you up on that offer!! PAP

You are the team builder. Make your team is the way you want it to be. They will never forget what you have shown them. And make sure you take me up on my offer. I love passing on what I have learned,

Edited by Locoman

22 hours ago, shinintimes said:

Chris if the paint stayed on your stinger spoons :emoticon-0102-bigsmile: how far behind the ball would you run them ? (only kidding I have a bunch) what colors do you like ?

Watermellon is my "go to" spoon color. As for how far back... For walleye, I run everything at least 100' behind the ball.

1 hour ago, RD9 said:

Sluggo, leader down to 12 lb test and run that spoon 15ft off the ball. It was hard for me to do at first but it works. 

I'm running 10# flouro leader on all my rigs. I've tried running shorter leads..but longer ones seem to work better for me. To be perfectly honest..my downriggers are the worst producers in my Arsenal for walleyes. Work fine for everything else, but not for eyes.

Sluggo, leader down to 12 lb test and run that spoon 15ft off the ball. It was hard for me to do at first but it works. 

I'm going to spend more time chasing eyes out of buffalo and Dunkirk this summer. I'm slowly collecting gear. Been catching kings in olcott my whole life but not too experienced with the eyes. What are some lures and setups you consider must have?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Harnesses, more harnesses, and Bay Rats. 90% on Leadcore, and 10% on Torpedo Divers. I gave up on Renosky's years ago, they are JUNK, Hooks bend and pullout, body's fill with water, and they break apart at the seams. Reef Runners are made to troll slower than we fish in the Eastern Basin and will wash out at speeds over 2 MPH.

2 hours ago, Sluggo / NY said:

I'm running 10# flouro leader on all my rigs. I've tried running shorter leads..but longer ones seem to work better for me. To be perfectly honest..my downriggers are the worst producers in my Arsenal for walleyes. Work fine for everything else, but not for eyes.

I have heard that from others do you run spoons off the riggers ? Some guys say its because the water has cleared up over the years and the ball spooks them but if that's the case it seems like dipsey's wouldn't work .. Starting to dislike this fish !! my plan is 2 downriggers 2 dipsey's and 2 off the big boards if I cant get them with that i'll tuck tail and head back to lake O for salmon

I have a few boxes of rats, rapalas, reef runners, yozuri, etc. A couple renowskys. I run 1,3,5, and 10 colors for trout and salmon. I have various inline weights, dive bombs, and drop weights. Couple tx44's, couple tx22's, and a couple walleye boards. 4 wire divers. Seems like it's all very similar to King fishing, except the reward tastes better. Lol. Find the fish and fish above them. Anybody use spoons with success?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

18 minutes ago, Fishkiller16 said:

Harnesses, more harnesses, and Bay Rats. 90% on Leadcore, and 10% on Torpedo Divers. I gave up on Renosky's years ago, they are JUNK, Hooks bend and pullout, body's fill with water, and they break apart at the seams. Reef Runners are made to troll slower than we fish in the Eastern Basin and will wash out at speeds over 2 MPH.

what about thunder sticks ?? they troll well at 2 mph

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics