winterizing

Newbster

winterizing

I just purchased a used 2013 Lund with a 60hp four stroke Mercury. I have preformed  the winter prep spelled out in the Mercury manual by adding stabil to the tank and to the fuel cup and running for 15 minutes. My question is, the manual states the unit is self draining, is it? Is there any worry of trapped water sitting somewhere, freezing and causing damage? My particular concern is wherever the impeller is located, in my mind, must hold water? Is there any other winter prep that I should do?

The engine should self drain fine-lower the motor down as far as you can to be sure water is out.  The other area to check is lower unit oil-pull drain plug check for any sign of water like milky oil.  Any doubt change and refill.  Also not a bad idea to pull prop and grease shaft.  The more service you do in the fall means less work in spring.

I just replaced the lower lube in July, it was clean and no water or milky color.  My main concern is, being new to outboard motors, is that I want to be sure I haven't missed having to drain water from anywhere on the motor, as the temperatures are dropping below freezing 

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics