Lund or crestliner.

Spending Overtime

Just seeing what the thoughts were on Lund or crestliner. I'm looking for a new boat and want something that I can use on Erie as well as the smaller lakes in PA. Also the kids like to tube. I'm leaning toward a crestliner super hawk. Just looking for any info or recommendations thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

my current boat is a 2015 Crestliner Commander and I like the room it offers, the trailerability, and the ability to handle water.... nice high gunwales .... 115 Merc 4 stroke with a Merc 9.9 ProKicker.....I can't speak for the Lunds, but I love the Crestliner.

I've owned a Starcraft Islander 191V, and a Trophy 2052........ Each boat offers a little something different, but at this point in my life, the Commander is perfect. 

you should also take a look at the starcraft  line I have a 18 ft super fisherman real nice boat take the kids tubing and skiing then out for walleye. I don't know where you live but Bow And Stern Marine on river rd. in Tonawanda has done real good by me. one thing to keep in mind is you may need a bigger motor to get skiers up. I went from a 115hp merc 4stroke to a 150 for better hole shot. kids grow and bring friends equals more power needed to get them up skiing

• Like 1

I have a 22 ft Crestliner Eagle. Bought it new in 2000. Wish I would have bought a 4 or 5 year old Pursuit instead.

Would have been about the same money.

Buying new is stupid.

Depreciation is outrageous.

Also, next boat will be an outboard.

I/O ' s are a pain when they start getting 15 years old. Too many rubber parts that age and start leaking.

Nicest things about any of the aluminum boats:  great gas mileage for boat and tow vehicle, easy to tow, easy to load

Worst things: rough ride in big waves, they get you wet in medium to big waves, they blow sideways very easy when your trying to get back on the trailer.

Walleye Tournament 05 002.jpg

Lund and Crestliner are both owned by Brunswick and are made in the same factory in Minnesota.   Main difference is in construction of hull- Lund uses rivets and the Crestliner is welded.   To me choice between the brands boils down to personal preference on construction, layout and local dealer.  Brunswick also owns Mercury so most Lunds and Crestliners come with Mercury power.    Starcraft has added a Starweld line so they have riveted and welded aluminum choice as well.  Brunswick is a big marine player owning Searay and Boston Whaler as well.  Interesting to check out their corporate site to see all their brands.. 

• Like 1

I spent a lot of time doing research 3 years ago before buying my new boat....And YES I bought it NEW and don't care about the depreciation!. I went with the Crestliner 2050 "Authority". She has a Merc 200 Verado, 10HP Merc Pro Kicker & the biggest Minn Kota I-pilot /lync combo. got the full canopy kit and set it up right. High gunwales all the way around. has a step thru transom where the swim platform form is. it is an awesome fishing boat for Erie & the fingerlakes....but one of the kickers for my decision was that it is an awesome family boat as well. we have 6 grand children. with the high gunwales, almost impossible for them to fall out, but when they are done swimming or tubing, they can easily climb back in all by themselves...youngest is 6.   I totally LOVE this boat, fell in love at first sight (after doing my research)...Have had her for 3 years now and couldn't be happier. I'd recommend taking a look at one. She is SEXY & trailers real nice too. I swear to GOD. almost every single time I take it out of the barn, someone comments on what an awesome boat it is

20150821_120608.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Over the last 15 years, I have had a Smoker Craft, then a Lund, and now a Sylvan.

My son has a Crestliner that I also fish out of.

An aluminum boat, is an aluminum boat.

I think the layout you like is the deciding factor.

If I had to buy another aluminum boat today, it would be a Starcraft because the hull design is better than the others for big water.

Edited by JAYRFRED

I have had trackers, starcrafts, grummans, a boston whaler, and polarkrafts. If you are looking at new and don't want to break the bank, look at the polarkrafts, I got one and for the same comparable models of starcraft, lund, and crestliner I got a slightly longer and wide boat with a yamaha 4 stroke motor for 5-10 grand less. I have had it now for three years I fish perch, walleye, salmon, and bass out of it, tow the kids on the tube and skis. and have had no problems. best boat I have owned.

20150422_145947.thumb.jpg.8075ee99df410cdafd3486a7e06a8d18.jpg

20150422_150130.thumb.jpg.511f120887db2a540f7c9ced472e5fac.jpg20150422_150116.thumb.jpg.2dda8c7e3c8314f5d1dd61f578444b5b.jpg

Edited by meangreencj7

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Spending OT,

I have a 2012 LUND Sport 1800 with the Merc 150 4 stroke and I am very happy with it. I've been on Lake Ontario several times, Lake Champlain, Lake Sunapee and numerous small lakes in NH. As with any boat, some days you're not going to be able to get out due to weather and wave conditions.

I looked at Alumacraft, Starcraft, Starweld, Smokercraft and the Lund when I was trying to decide what I wanted in a boat.

Everyone of them have there own pros and cons. You just have to choose what is best for what you are looking for in your boat. Quality, layout, specifications and costs.

My suggestion is to get onto as many as you can, on the water, either a test drive or with someone who will take you out. This will give you first hand experience with a particular make and model.

Good Luck & Boat Safe,

Egoody

5a3b25c6e0ece_2015-05-0714_08_17.thumb.jpg.825ce864e5865b912b3d2301cd0c6f2e.jpg

• 3 months later...

I beat the hell out of my boats. My Starcraft needed 268 new rivets and then the transom brace cracked. My Lund had leaking rivets. My Crestliner is good so far but my gasoline tank leaked gasoline from the full hose. I use portable gasoline tanks now. Mercury stopped selling Verado engines now. There you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics