Lake Erie Fall Perch

What's everyone's thoughts on "how close is too close to another boat while on Erie perch fishing?" My personal opinion is as long as your out of casting distance I'd say it doesnt bother me. I personally wouldn't get even that close. But it's a big lake with a lot of fish, but out of casting distance is fine in my book. If someone pulled up and asked for example "hey I'm having a rough day do you mind if I wish this area with you?" I would be more than happy to fish with them. Sometimes it just irritating when you mark coordinates search for fish then someone pulls right on your ass.

But anyway what is everyone's opinion on how close is too close in your eyes? Just curious to see what everyone's opinion on the subject is!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

Getting close to a “catching boat” is not the answer. Getting between two catching boats is better. “An old timer” said keeping bait down below keeps the school from moving off. To keep the intruders away, do not stand up and reel. Do not use the net, only slide the fish over the gun Wales. It is called “Stealth Fishing”.

• Like 2

I know it is a problem, but I have gotten used to it. A certain guide seems to think that there is a "five foot" rule, and I have seen him that close.  Casting distance is ok and as Jimski says, more bait in the water keeps the fish around longer.  I have found that most guys on Erie are courteous and respectful. I appreciate that.  The stealth fishing is important if you find them and are all alone. Everyone is looking out there including me. The seagulls usually give you away.  Bring a shotgun for them :emoticon-0102-bigsmile:

• Like 1

Another case of where courtesy & common sense comes into play. Its sort of like sitting at the bottom of a guys tree stand while he is in it.    A few years ago my wife & I were in the pack not doing well, we move about a 1/2 mile found a school by ourselves & got 75 in about 2 hours.

Perhaps my experience isn't typical, but when I've been striking out and try an area with a bunch of boats, it never helps my catch.

I'm better off like you lineman, and looking for a school by myself. 

The fish I got yesterday were definitely moving through. Most of the day, I would see small groups of fish come and go. 

• Like 1

The problem begins with a wind shift and your hooks foul the neighbors anchor line. Even if you break off your line, the guy pulling the anchor will find hooks in fingers, and then the action begins. Stay far away from the other guys anchor line so the war does not start.

• Like 3

Great question and not an easy one to answer. First off, we are just coming off a down cycle. I used to catch perch at the water pump inlet in Johnsons cove just west of Pt Breeze and also in the lake at Gannet and Sodus in the summer time.  They were always shallow  - 6-10'. Not at all like Erie perch. Most importantly - habitat. We do not have a mud bottom. No insects to feed on. The summer perch I caught would feed on crayfish along the shore.  As I said, we are coming out of a down cycle. The perch fishing has been pretty good from Rochester east in the bays and the mouth of the Genesee. The guys, and myself included , are more tight lipped about Ontario perch too. The perch here are very localized and can get overfished easily, I have seen this happen. The Erie perch are in much greater numbers and spread out . It is a lot easier to say they are off the Cat in 68' then at a particular spot in a particular bay off Ontario. There are plenty more reasons, but I hope this was a start.

• Like 1

Lake Erie has a higher fertilization level from all the agriculture activity, higher human population contributing more nutrients. Average shallower depth contributes a greater production area for perch. It is the greatest food fish producing Lake in the world. The perch numbers are controlled by generous sport fishing quotas and a quota limit on commercial fishing operations with international cooperation by the concerned agencies. Still there are boom and bust harvest years that we end up having to live with.

• Like 1

Lake Erie has a higher fertilization level from all the agriculture activity, higher human population contributing more nutrients. Average shallower depth contributes a greater production area for perch. It is the greatest food fish producing Lake in the world. The perch numbers are controlled by generous sport fishing quotas and a quota limit on commercial fishing operations with international cooperation by the concerned agencies. Still there are boom and bust harvest years that we end up having to live with.

There just as many perch in Lake Ontario. As lake Erie
The only reason is that perch are not targeted as much as Erie
I can go out and catch my limit at will on Ontario

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App
  • Like 2

Unharvested perch have a high impact on walleye, bass and other fish as they feed on fry and fingerlings of the walleye and bass. They also impact the emerald shiners, gobies, mussels and fleas. It is a failure of the anglers who ignore the need to balance the harvest of perch.

• Like 1

Great question and not an easy one to answer. First off, we are just coming off a down cycle. I used to catch perch at the water pump inlet in Johnsons cove just west of Pt Breeze and also in the lake at Gannet and Sodus in the summer time.  They were always shallow  - 6-10'. Not at all like Erie perch. Most importantly - habitat. We do not have a mud bottom. No insects to feed on. The summer perch I caught would feed on crayfish along the shore.  As I said, we are coming out of a down cycle. The perch fishing has been pretty good from Rochester east in the bays and the mouth of the Genesee. The guys, and myself included , are more tight lipped about Ontario perch too. The perch here are very localized and can get overfished easily, I have seen this happen. The Erie perch are in much greater numbers and spread out . It is a lot easier to say they are off the Cat in 68' then at a particular spot in a particular bay off Ontario. There are plenty more reasons, but I hope this was a start.

Thank you and I understand guys being tight lipped

Unharvested perch have a high impact on walleye, bass and other fish as they feed on fry and fingerlings of the walleye and bass. They also impact the emerald shiners, gobies, mussels and fleas. It is a failure of the anglers who ignore the need to balance the harvest of perch.

I'm glad I've joined this page I have learned quite a bit since. Thanks for answering and not giving me hell for wanting to learn.

Years ago the Health Department warned of Lake Ontario fish consumption. This led to a loss of food fishing opportunities on Lake Ontario. Decades have passed now and there have been no updates from that agency and generations of new anglers have been lost.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics