Perch Perch,mid summer

At least four boats out of the Catt boxed out with perch yesterday even with the east wind. 68 foot of water seem to be the magic depth. We had only a few from scattered pods of perch moving by occasionally off Evangola. 200 foot of anchor rode barely held bottom in the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

Need a minkota spot lock

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Fished out of the Catt got some gps coordinates from a buddy from a few days ago that took me to 68ft nothing out there. Moved into 58ft and perch everywhere this was on the 2nd fished for s bit got about 20 before the storm moved in and got a little sketchy. It was a fun ride in got a little wet but that's what it's all about!!!!

The cool nights will bring the perch in closer now. It is a good place to start is where the shale drops off to the mud flats. The perch will feed on the mud and the shale will be like a fence herding them along as they move eastward.

What do you perch whores say about perchn during an easterly wind on Erie? Everyone says the walleye bite sucks w an easterly wind. Wanna fish this weekend, but hear it may be easterly. Wanted to walleye fish, but wouldnt object to perchn. Have a long drive to get there. Would like some experienced weigh in on this question..thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

14 hours ago, Ten Percent said:

I hear ya..it's either the long haul to Erie or a pretty fingerlake in the back yard

Don't you have the big perch from Seneca or Canandaigua lakes??  Shorter trip for sure.  I always wanted to fish those lakes for the big perch but people are pretty tight lipped about the perch down that way. but it 's a long trip from this way too.lol

• Like 1

Yeah I know!!. Guess I've been lucky..only fished Erie for perch the last 2 springs...limits almost every time..pretty tough to beat the kind of fishing we had...and plenty of slobs...Seneca is not what it used to be..seems true for most fish species..something going on that has yet to be fully understood..1 thing you can always count on is change I guess..gonna give my new thunder mist stingnose jigs a try for deep water perch tomoro..tight lines

I grew up on Cayuga and yes the fishing has changed.  The bass tourneys laid waste to the bass fishery.  Pressure changed the bass habits quickly.  By far the most encompassing is the zebra mussels.  Once the lake's food base was altered, removed, and the lake got clearer, things moved deeper.  Enter the Gobi....and on and on.  Oh wait, almost forgot the large heat exchange in the south end, sorry trout....Things change all the time. It's how we adapt to them that matters.  

Pequod..I do like the lures. Can't Say We Had A Stellar Day By Any means..Think It's Still Early For Prime Time. ..did manage 2 small lakers & prob 8 or 9 smallies on the jigs..no perch on em today..got some perch on other stuff...no big ones though..very surprised no nice perch deep as we found plenty of bait..just lakers and smallies on the bait we fished.

Fished perch today out of Catt, straight out in 65-68 FOW. Managed 35 worth keeping, biggest was 13.5", probably put back 20. Action was one or two every 5 or so minutes. Good times. Salted minnows out fished small live emeralds.

Perch today disappeared due to offshore winds causing a cold water move near shore. We picked up 30 between two boats in 68 foot of water off the Catt. No fish on the screen from 53 to 68 foot. We went out to 77 foot and found them there along with marks at mid water. Good SW winds should return the perch near shore soon.

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics