Perch Perch,mid summer

I do not. I will, however, cast out and leave a slack line. This will leave the hook close to the bottom if not on it.  Every few seconds, I tighten the line and feel for any weight and set hook. If there is no "extra" weight, I'll go back to slack.  In fall fishing in the past, there were plenty of Niagaras around and a very aggressive jigging with a spoon replacing the weight and a chartreuse plastic slayed them along with an eye or two. That technique only worked when there were massive bait schools though. 

I do not. I will, however, cast out and leave a slack line. This will leave the hook close to the bottom if not on it.  Every few seconds, I tighten the line and feel for any weight and set hook. If there is no "extra" weight, I'll go back to slack.  In fall fishing in the past, there were plenty of Niagaras around and a very aggressive jigging with a spoon replacing the weight and a chartreuse plastic slayed them along with an eye or two. That technique only worked when there were massive bait schools though. 

That's cool cover more ground if there not right under boat. Your pretty slick

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Hey pequod, what kind of jigging spoon do you like for the perch? Swedish pimple? Kast master? Some thing heavy like those?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Now I am excited. Thanks Jimski.  

Ten percent.  As you know, the big problem with jigs in 60' of water is getting them down.  Pimples work great, but the only line I can use to get them down fast is 8 lb nanofill.  Be aware that nanofill will fray easily and I don't trust it. Also, a lot of wind knots when jigging with it. I use a 3/4 oz. buckshot rattle spoon.  Silver or gold. I like the looks and weight of the stingnose jigging spoon.  I will get a few in the 1/2 and 3/4 oz. size

I just used a pimple in 50' Friday in Cayuga lake and got a dozen nice perch on it.

Thanks Pequod, you live fairly close to Cayuga? She Def has some nice perch. I live closer to Canandaigua and have dialed in the fall bite nicely also pulling the bigger guys outta 50 to 60 fow late summer-early fall. Those big perch, smallies & lakers dial in on the baby sawbelly bait balls

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

Perch are the answer to interesting children in fishing. Holding a fishing rod and catching a fish is fun and watching a trolling rod is boring for them.

Last week deep water perching produced near limit catches with golden shiners out of the Catt. Pin head emerald shiners are available in the usual Niagara River dipping spots and doubling them up on your hooks works.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

went out tonight with the intent of getting some perch.  They are there. I launched at the Catt. and went out to 60 FOW.  Schools everywhere.  Some would bite, some not.  All I had were salted emeralds.  Used Swedish pimples. They were spitting up scuds. Caught ten and went out further.  Lots of big marks in 70+ FOW.  Caught two eyes drifting a spinner with a worm attached.  A good day for me.  Lots of full coolers at the launch.  Go Get Them!

You do like those pimples.  I started using them more and more because of your posts. Even caught a bunch of big gills and crappie on them back in June. They just take so long to get down to 60+. I am too impatient for that.  My 3/4 oz. stingnose jigging spoons should arrive soon.  Anyone ever try them?

I watch all of Thundermist's videos.  I didn't realize they made the stingnose.  I'll have to pick some up.  Is that a plated steel or a cast lead body?  I do like certain lures! and I use them to a fault.  When I know the fish are biting on one thing I always go back to the lures I like.  That's probably why I don't catch as much. LOL. 

Haven't been on sight for a while and just wondering what stingnose spoons are and what they look like? Fished out of Catt Tues and caught bunch little eyes and noticed either a lot of bait or schools of perch out in 85-90 fow. Can't wait to get out there for perch. Hopefully Friday. Any emeralds at foot of Ferry? Thanks for reply.

• Like 2

At least four boats out of the Catt boxed out with perch yesterday even with the east wind. 68 foot of water seem to be the magic depth. We had only a few from scattered pods of perch moving by occasionally off Evangola. 200 foot of anchor rode barely held bottom in the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

• Like 4

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics