What kind of rod and reels

What kind of rod and reels

Looking to purchase some new rod and reel set ups and wanted to get some feed back before I made my move.

I like the Diawa Sealines , and was thinking about the LC  47 versus the LC 37 to use for dual pupose walleye and salmon, mostly because Im cheap. Lol. Any thoughts?

Having a hard time with the rod selection , and the rod selection is for walleye use. My main goal for these set ups is trolling plugs (reef runners , bay rats etc) and also worm harnesses on three way swivels. 

I would use different rods for Salmon on Lake O.

Thanks in advance ,

Or keep an eye out in the classifieds section here and on LOU (lake Ontario United) for used equipment, that is in good shape at half the price of new. That is how I got a lot of my stuff to start without the SO getting too mad.

• 3 months later...

I like the Okuma cold water reels. I use them for my wire dipseys  on both Erie and Ontario. I bought a good still dipsey rod and installed a twilly tip. They work great on both lakes. For regular walleye rods I use Eagle claw yellow rods. They are $20 each and are great on down riggers, jets and lead. They are too fast for dipseys. 

• 3 months later...
On 9/25/2017 at 10:12 AM, Puking Dog said:

I like the Okuma cold water reels. I use them for my wire dipseys  on both Erie and Ontario. I bought a good still dipsey rod and installed a twilly tip. They work great on both lakes. For regular walleye rods I use Eagle claw yellow rods. They are $20 each and are great on down riggers, jets and lead. They are too fast for dipseys. 

What lb test do you use on your Okuma cold water reel when fishing walleye on downriggers, I'm going to Bass Pro to purchase this reel next week.

40 pound 7 strand wire for dipseys. You can also use super braid but I have better luck with wire. 

You need a roller rod or a twilly tip to use wire or you will kink the wire and create a weak spot.

On down riggers I use 18 lb Berkley Big Game mono and a fluorocarbon leader.

Edited by Puking Dog
didn't see "down rigger"

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics