Crossing the Canadian border and Fishing license

Crossing the Canadian border and Fishing license

I'm looking for some information about crossing the border on Lake Erie and license requirements.

I live in southern Ohio and fish Lake Erie's western basin out of Marblehead several times a year. I've never crossed the border in my boat but several years ago aboard a charter, we went into Canada to fish and had to purchase Ontario license.  I wasn't aware of any requirement to contact Canadian authorities to cross the border at that time.  Because of some blog posts I read, it seems there must be that requirement now. I'd appreciate any info on if that's true and, if so, how to do it, ie: what channel, what call sign, what info they require, etc.

Also, the blog posts don't mention pulling in for licenses so I'm wondering, is a Ontario license required or is there some new agreement that allows fishing with my Ohio license as long as I'm on the water?

Phone call for entry is almost not needed now BUT night crawlers in US soil not allowed, only in water, no anchoring, no alcohol, flare pistols have to have plastic barrels, licenses, both fishing and Conservation, fuel to report for inspection and return and many more possible infractions such as DWI arrests, child support arrears, felony arrests, safety equipment and anything to soak more USA dollars from you. If you are ordered for inspection only the Captain can leave the boat, all others are to remain on board. And things can still get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

• Like 1

On 6/22/2017 at 1:39 PM, jimski2 said:

Phone call for entry is almost not needed now BUT night crawlers in US soil not allowed, only in water, no anchoring, no alcohol, flare pistols have to have plastic barrels, licenses, both fishing and Conservation, fuel to report for inspection and return and many more possible infractions such as DWI arrests, child support arrears, felony arrests, safety equipment and anything to soak more USA dollars from you. If you are ordered for inspection only the Captain can leave the boat, all others are to remain on board. And things can still get worse.

I fish a lot in Canada, yes worm can not be in soil must be in peat moss or  paper bedding (buss).  Funny I'm  a bait dealer in Cuba all my crawler come from Canada in dirt..

• 3 weeks later...

They have recently changed to Canadian laws about reporting your entry into all Canadian waters. You still need to call even if you are not touching land. If caught in these waters Canadian law enforcement has jurisdiction and the ability to impound all vessels and equipment. It will take years and lots of cash to retrieve these items once seized. Here is the the phone number to call in. 1 (888) 226-7277. We do this every time we cross the lake. We shut down and call as we cross the line. Follow the instructions and have your boat registration and ID's for all on board ready. Answer all their questions and convey your plans of where you are fishing and for how long. They will give you a number to write down so gave a pen ready. This number will be needed to prove that you have registered your entry to any local law enforcement that my ask. Tight lines and safe travels.

Thanks Icebreaker.  Sure appreciate the info.  How about an Ontario fishing license?  I'm familiar with the various purchase options available, just not sure one is needed as long as you cross on the water. 

Yes you will always need a liscense for their waters. Here is the site to do it online. You will need their card as well as your liscense. The card is reloadable and looks similar to a credit card. Buy them both and print them out till they come in the mail.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/fishing-licence-non-residents-canada

Correct. It was passed a couple of weeks ago by their government. But will take time to be implemented. As of today you still need to report your entry. Hopefully we won't have to do this next month. But till then....

Thanks again.  Yea, I know about how to buy 'em and I get one online every year (card every 3) because I go up into Canadian lakes.  Just wasn't sure about one-timers on my boat. There have been some times when I was out close to the line not doing real well and just thought about running over around Pelee island for a bit.  

You can buy one day, 3 day also on that site. I think your good if you buy it on your phone. But I think they require you to carry a paper copy. Guess your going to have to install another piece of electronics on your boat. A printer. Lol.

Wow. I haven't been out to the islands since the fall. I am from Buffalo, NY area and love fishing over by you.

Correct. It was passed a couple of weeks ago by their government. But will take time to be implemented. As of today you still need to report your entry. Hopefully we won't have to do this next month. But till then....

I called in yesterday and was told i didnt have to call anymore...i will call again tomorrow and see what they say

Sent from my SM-G930P using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Great. I went over Thursday for the Canam tournament out of Port Colborne and they said nothing. Will be headed over in a week to scout for our next tourney. Hopefully I get the same respinse

19 minutes ago, Icebreaker said:

Awesome. I fish the border regularly. We even run across to go swimming sometimes

I believe if you anchor or touch land then you still need to call & report in.

• Like 1

Great info guys.  Appreciate all your comments.   If you happen to be in the western basin/islands area, we did real well between Green Island and the border last week. Had 4 limits and back to the ramp by 3PM Thurs.  Lacked 2 having limits Wed. Walleye!!

• 2 weeks later...

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics