Tr1 Autopilot

I did my own installation but I got tremendous tech support over the phone,from the place I bought it from.  Calumet Marine in Chicago area. Even the on water programing I did on phone. The same tech stayed with me from begin to end of install. Friend has one too, he's used Garmin tech support with success. So where did you buy your TR-1?? You will love it once you get it installed and programed right.

I purchased it from Hoges Marine in Tampa, best price I could find online. I got it running ok but the thing wont hold a course, it starts to then goes hard to port and stays there. I may have to call Garmin tech support while on the water. I got the calibration done riding in circles and got North set as well. I have it hooked to my HDS12 I tried setting a route and use the gps track feature, it starts ok then starts wondering in a circle. I am at a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

OK-I would start with Hoges Marine. I would guess they do inststallations too. Probably got one or two guys that are expert at the intstallation. Try and get there first names and best times to call. You could do same thing with Garmin tech support. I can still remember the Techs name at Calumet Marine.His name was Ryan and he knew TR-1 like the back of his hand.He did give me his cell # too which helped. Took about a week to get all bugs worked and all my questions answered.When it was finished I offered to send him a check for his time,he said thanks but no thanks.BTW I have an HDS 10 but my TR-1 is not connected to it. Most important features for me are: holding course in calm or sometimes rough seas, throttle control,and very important step turns. My step turns are programed for 10 degrees each time I push button. Use it a ton. Have had TR-1 about 5 years now. Makes day on water much more enjoyable -no one has to be locked to the steering wheel!!

I will start with Garmin as Hodges is just retail. The hook up to the HDS is a nice add on to enable routes and waypoint track following, although that could bd a source of the problem and may need to be disconnected to ensure its not confusing the AP. I am going to try to get in the water Thursday during the day and see if they can help me via cell phone. It will be nice to not have to be steering all day...I am hoping I can get it working for what it cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies. Turns out it was a bad compass ball from the factory. Garmin sent me an exchange for mine and once I got it installed and calibrated it ...all set works like a charm. Had it out Saturday...I will never own a boat without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

Headshaker,Glad t o hear you got your TR-1 problems worked out. Your gonna love how much more enjoyable a day of trolling will be. Its gonna put more fish in the boat and your wife will be happy reading here book. Hope its a great season for you guys. I'll call you some time for advice when were fishing in your neighrhood.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics