Inspect your wheel bearings!!!

I inspected my wheel bearings in the spring, but almost lost my wheel on rt 5 Sunday. Turns out that I had a ton of fishing line rapped around my axle that burned through my bearing seal allowing for water to enter. Everyone wants there boat to be perfect, but your trailer is just as important. INSPECT YOUR BEARINGS, AND PLEASE DO NOT DISCARD YOUR FISHING LINE IN THE WATER!!!

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Good info. I lost one on 490 just outside Leroy one year. Luckily I noticed the wheel wobbling and smoking so I pulled over just past a turnaround. Bearing was shot, so I backed up to get to the turnaround. Took it apart and went to get tools and parts which was a pain as the parts stores took awhile to find the right one. Wasted a day fixing that but luckily I didn't mess the shaft up too much. So now I repack them every year in the spring.

One tip make sure you use the right grease as some don't mix well with others. So now I only use one type. Either stick with synthetics or regular grease.

I noticed a "wobbling" trailer tire. Pulled over and found the inner race of the wheel bearing spinning on the axle. The auto parts store had an anaerobic locking compound, new bearing and high temperature blue disc brake bearing grease. I put this bearing on the damaged axle with the locking compound and it stuck. Drive home and then ordered and installed a new axle and bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics