Who's fishing the Southtowns Walleye Tournament this year?

They did have it one year at a later date so the kids could fish & the old timers that started the club didn't like it & changed it back to the earlier dates.  Also people have been saying for years it is too early in the season.

They did have it one year at a later date so the kids could fish & the old timers that started the club didn't like it & changed it back to the earlier dates.  Also people have been saying for years it is too early in the season.

If thats the case then those concerns need to be brought to the tournament committee for consideration. There are many new folks in there that would want to hear the opinions from the members and in turn take it to the main membership for a vote for a date change. They meet the Monday the week before the general meeting. I still agree with Fishkiller16 that with so many big prize tournaments in July the timing is pretty good for a smaller event for amateurs that want to have some fun and not spend a fortune to get in and try to get some modest winnings. The larger tourneys in July pay more but also cost more to enter usually. The STWA tournament is a nice event to kick start the season off no matter your skill level or size of your wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Jim, where can I join STWA and enter STWT? Club house? Other option?

At the club house, our next meeting is early this month because of the tournament. It is Thursday the 8th of June. They are also doing sign ups at the club on frday june 9th untill 8 pm. It's $35.00 for dues, $35 for the tournament. Both are mandatory if your joining the tournament. Then there is an optional $30.00 Calcutta for June 10 ,11, and 17th that pays the top 3 fish of each day. Then an optional $5.00 money prize, they draw names for $500.00 lots till the money is gone. So everything included is $105.00. It is a great tournament to fish for every weather your a novice or a professional. It won't break the bank and there is no pressure, and the awards picnic is a great time. The dates will probably never change and I'm good with that.

• Like 2

Jim,

I was wondering if the SWA ever considered doing like a Walleye Slam tournament, similar to what they do on Lake Ontario the week prior to the WHI. Be a great way to bring in more people and money. If you don't know what I'm referring to it's your 7 biggest fish per boat per week and once you count a wieght of a fish you can't upgrade. With the turn outs we get for the sunset shootout and other tournaments cost really isn't an issue. The only thing this could create is more revenue for the club and get more people involved. A side tournament coinciding with the traditional tournament in such. My family and I has fished this tourney for years kids and all.  It's a good tourney but always room for improvement.  

I think you would really get interest in this next year. 

• Like 1

The SWA tournament is too early in the season and changing the dates does not happen ever in spite of suggestions. Weekend contests where working people and children would work but those old retired coots will not move on it. The high entry fee contests limit participation so there you go. Just go fishing and have a good time. A social event is held monthly at SWA or other clubs.

Edited by jimski2
  • Like 1

It has nothing to do with the "old coots" it's all about the time frame. The board of directors is actually swayed to the younger side not the older side anymore. You've got guys like myself who are in their early forties to a couple of people in their thirties to a couple of people in her early fifties and in a few people that are in their sixties and seventies but it is way more swayed to the younger generation now than the older generation. I have other agendas with our tournament than moving it to a later date. I just want modernization to our weigh stations to start. I also would like to cut back on weight stations. Have one at Barcelona, one at Cattaraugus, and one at the club. I feel we don't need a weigh station at SBH or Sturgeon point. Both are within 15 minutes or less from the club. Buy a couple of laptops and printers for the weigh stations and email weights into the club every night. That will mean we need less volunteers to run weigh stations less volunteers to run weigh slips back to the clubs. The whole system and set up would run so much more efficiently.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

44 minutes ago, jimski2 said:

The SWA tournament is too early in the season and changing the dates does not happen ever in spite of suggestions. Weekend contests where working people and children would work but those old retired coots will not move on it. The high entry fee contests limit participation so there you go. Just go fishing and have a good time. A social event is held monthly at SWA or other clubs.

As far as it being to early in the season I do not share that opinion. Yes fishing is tougher but why is that an issue?  I can tell you that there is plenty of guys whom are going to catch the heck out of em. There is an old school way of thinking that the water is to cold, which is just wrong. The fish are present and available to catch but dont go out there and fish like it's mid July and expect to catch em. People just got done pounding them at night. Those fish don't just vanish. They have just moved. 

As for this tournament being less expensive, it is to a certain extent. It cost a $100 per guy after it's all said in done. With four guys in a boat it's not much different then the rest of the one day shootout and con club.

My opinion is the tournament is fine but add more to bring in the tournament anglers in would be a good move. The proof is in the facts. Take the sunset bay shootout, 444 and Conclub tourney, there is a waiting list a mile long. Heck I bet if Don made the entry fee 1k (without calcuttas) for the shootout they would still have a waiting list. I fish this tourney because I want to support the club to be honest the tournament aspect is lacking. 

Im going to talk to Jim and hopefully get involved next year. I think there is a way to keep the old school guys happy and hopefully attract some new guys. The reality is very few will travel in from a distant with the prize structure. 

• Like 1

I sit on the tournament committee, manage the STWA website along with the Fishline and my wife is on the board as of recent, we are both aligned with getting things modernized and organized better. There definately needs to be a clear shift in thinking on the use of technology compared to how things have been done in the past, however for some people change is hard to accept and can be intimidating. I think though as Jim has stated that there needs to be a clear shift in how we present ourselves and how we run our programs. Our efforts need to be well balanced to meet not only the needs of current members but also ensure we are looking at future anglers and younger generations with a clear focus on maintaing a strong fishery and supporting our community.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

• Like 1

As far as it being to early in the season I do not share that opinion. Yes fishing is tougher but why is that an issue?  I can tell you that there is plenty of guys whom are going to catch the heck out of em. There is an old school way of thinking that the water is to cold, which is just wrong. The fish are present and available to catch but dont go out there and fish like it's mid July and expect to catch em. People just got done pounding them at night. Those fish don't just vanish. They have just moved. 
As for this tournament being less expensive, it is to a certain extent. It cost a $100 per guy after it's all said in done. With four guys in a boat it's not much different then the rest of the one day shootout and con club.
My opinion is the tournament is fine but add more to bring in the tournament anglers in would be a good move. The proof is in the facts. Take the sunset bay shootout, 444 and Conclub tourney, there is a waiting list a mile long. Heck I bet if Don made the entry fee 1k (without calcuttas) for the shootout they would still have a waiting list. I fish this tourney because I want to support the club to be honest the tournament aspect is lacking. 
Im going to talk to Jim and hopefully get involved next year. I think there is a way to keep the old school guys happy and hopefully attract some new guys. The reality is very few will travel in from a distant with the prize structure. 

I would love to see don go to 1000.00

Use this format and replace Walleye with Salmon. This is really a fun strategic way to have a tourney because playing the weather is a huge part. I think doing six fish would work instead of seven. The thing about doing during the southtowns as is most of these fish would be weighed in anyways. 

Also being able to sign up for tournament online is huge. Southtowns should be able to do this membership and all. One day passes would be nice too, the loc seems to have it down. It's so easy to sign up if a buddy wants to go. 

IMG_0154.PNG

I also was down at my slip in Dunkirk and spoke to the marina. They came down to see why I didn't have power. He said they were going to contact the south towns and see if they could do a wiegh in station. 

At the club house, our next meeting is early this month because of the tournament. It is Thursday the 8th of June. They are also doing sign ups at the club on frday june 9th untill 8 pm. It's $35.00 for dues, $35 for the tournament. Both are mandatory if your joining the tournament. Then there is an optional $30.00 Calcutta for June 10 ,11, and 17th that pays the top 3 fish of each day. Then an optional $5.00 money prize, they draw names for $500.00 lots till the money is gone. So everything included is $105.00. It is a great tournament to fish for every weather your a novice or a professional. It won't break the bank and there is no pressure, and the awards picnic is a great time. The dates will probably never change and I'm good with that.

That's a lot of money for a small prize take

Sent from my iPad using Lake Erie United Mobile App

My point is the children are still supposed to be in school for the tourney dates. Walleye catching time is not the problem but family fishing time should be part of the tourney. The big money tourneys are usually won by the same high level fishermen usually and the family type operations are also rams, thank you for your contribution entry fees. The Southtown Derby is more of a any body can win with a lot of entries allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

• Like 1

Been fishing this lake 26 years this is a great time for the tournament. Also would not give up the big dollar tournaments to fish the southtowns in july. Let's see $4000 or up to $25000. I'll take the big money pay out any day.

Food for thought... Jim you and the other top tier guys might not give up the big$$ tourneys but 90% of the rest of the walleye guys and their kids couldn't get in those tourneys if they wanted to - limited field sizes and/or entry cost per team - these facts may bode well for running the STWT at the same time... just my option from outside the box.

Jack

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics