Who's fishing the Southtowns Walleye Tournament this year?

I've been fishing it for over thirty years and love the tournament and picnic. Great time and lotsa prizes. This year the picnic is going with a family theme trying to get the kids interested in fishing as we try to do a lot for kids. Don't forget the free kids fishing derby in July 15 at Chestnut Ridge. Good luck in derby and remember to be safe and curdious when your on the water.

I'm not fishing it because its held too early in the year. I liked it much better when it was the week of 4th of July.

By then you have had a chance to locate some fish and the water temperature is higher. Fish tend to be farther off shore but I'm OK with that.

Just sayin.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be out there. Water temperatures are up this year since we had no ice last winter. 55 plus degree waters are everywhere and the fish are suspended off shore. Sideplaners with stickbaits or worm harnesses in the top forty foot of water should work. Jets which float up on inside turns are good. Snap weights or rubber bands with one to two ounce sinkers are working well in Ohio waters all winter long. Lead core lines will work well if you use less than five colors now. 65 degree waters will move the fish from Sturgeon Point and east to deeper water to the west. The most important deal is to keep your lies far, far from the sides of your boat. Long lines off the stern are the least productive and foul up your lines when you are bringing a fish aboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

I agree with Pukin Dog! STW tourny is held way to early in season. Western eyes are not here that early in the summer. The big eyes in our end of lake are the female breeders we should be releasing. Killing these big females is shooting ourselves in the foot!! Years ago tourny was held around July 4th. Alot better fishing and more fun! Also the kids are out of school so they can join in the fun. It makes no sense to have tis tourny when they do IMHO. 

• Like 1

First there is other tournaments on the lake in early july that our tournament would interfere with. Second we have plenty of big native fish to catch this time of the year. Third the 8,9,10,11,and occasional 12 lb fish caught during the Southtowns Walleye Tournament are not our main source of breeding fish. The viable breeders are the 20 to 25 inch fish (4-6lbs). The older fish are not very fertile by the time they hit the 9-10 pound range. Fourth, if you want the dates changed for the tournament next year we are in need of a tournament director for next year. Then you can go to your tournament committee and propose a date change. I for one think this is a great start to the summer fishing season.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 3

First there is other tournaments on the lake in early july that our tournament would interfere with. Second we have plenty of big native fish to catch this time of the year. Third the 8,9,10,11,and occasional 12 lb fish caught during the Southtowns Walleye Tournament are not our main source of breeding fish. The viable breeders are the 20 to 25 inch fish (4-6lbs). The older fish are not very fertile by the time they hit the 9-10 pound range. Fourth, if you want the dates changed for the tournament next year we are in need of a tournament director for next year. Then you can go to your tournament committee and propose a date change. I for one think this is a great start to the summer fishing season.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

I second that Fishkiller16..spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics