Warning to boaters and kayaks

Warning to boaters and kayaks

Last night I went out for a few hours in the boat.  Launched, fished and got skunked.  No biggie.  When driving at night, I'm always cautious of spring time debris and boaters of all kinds.  In fact I run a spot light most nights to highlight things in front of me.  That said I've noticed a few times that guys don't have proper running lights on the boat.  After one evening of the doing the Walleye Cha-Cha any newly minted boater can recognize that a boat with the colored lights on the front (bow) and a white light is on the back(stern).  Using the lights helps others tell your direction of movement, even from quite a distance.  Basic.  Easy...I guess not.  I am not interested in your excuse that you only go out once or twice.  The lights are too expensive.  I ONLY HAVE A KAYAK AND DON'T NEED ONE.... Really.... Get the proper lights displayed, preferably brighter than the bulb that illuminates your brain housing group.  And a bright headlamp doesn't cut it.  AND DON"T PARK YOUR CRAFT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SOUTH GAP-WITH NO LIGHTS- AND EXPECT ME TO NOT BECOME IRRITATED AT YOU!  You have now become an obstruction and a hazard to navigation. 

When I fish I like to give everyone a large arch around them to give them space.  It's a big lake and I'm the one who is more maneuverable so I will yield the right of way to a less maneuverable craft.  You can and should fish any damn place you want on the lake and in any craft you deem safe enough.  Have at it.  BUT don't be part of a problem due to ignorance or apathy.   

• Like 1

When a boat, even a sailboat, is under way running lights must be displayed, A boat otherwise must display a 360 degree white light. A flash light does not work as I collided with a row boat one night while running at high speed. I just glanced off the side and no injuries happened except I received a couple loose rivets. I turned around and saw the occupants banging their flashlight against the gunwale trying to get it to work. When passing another boat you must slow down if they are in a 100 yard zone of you. But withour a bright light bad things can happen.

• Like 2

That's why I don't go out for the night bite much. Last few times there were too many close calls. Even trolling, there were times I came close to other boats and didn't know it as they had no lights or were off to" not spook fish". Hard to not spook then with that many boats.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Until the Inter Harbor speed limit is changed it is still 10 mph.Still see just about every boat start running as soon as the leave SBH.If your going to run wide open through the South Gap coming around the Long Wall at least give a horn signal,just remember if someone is doing 10 mph and your doing 35 mph,it his hard for them to move out of your way if you round the bend and there they are!

Also musky fishermen troll the South Gap.Sometimes right on the corner of the Long Wall and can come around the corner tight to structure. Why most boats that go around the corner of the South Gap Long Wall need to cut the corner as close to the end of the wall where they can't be seen until they are right on top of you is really an accident waiting to happen!

Correct Jimski and Mostlymuskies.  The gaps are a pinch point of navigation and should not be a place ANYONE should be fishing for just that reason.  All of the gaps are great places to find fish.  A great spot is the North gap for instance.  Trolling in the area of the navigation buoys back to the gap has produced many fish.  That said, only a person with a death wish does this on Sailboat Race Day.  It's a called navigation channel  for a reason. 

Stay alert stay alive fellas. I wouldn't recommend coming through any of the "gaps" on plane unless you want to test your insurance, have seen plenty of people anchored in hem over the years. Rather than adopt new rules the CG, Sheriffs, CBP etc should enforce the current laws. If your not illuminated at night you should be ticketed and told to return to port until you have the proper equipment. Anyone know the results of the outer harbor speed limit?  Last I heard they were going to begin enforcing the OLD 10MPH limit inside the break wall. Did the petition make it? they repeal the old law?

Troll where you want.  All I'm saying is that if you are obstructing the passage of a craft in a shipping lane or restricted passage, and doo doo goes south, then your craft can be to blame as much as the navigator that was going too fast through the same area.  Both equally to blame for the accident so to say.  I doubt heavily that you troll back and forth exclusively in the gap. But if someone did then I'd suggest NOT to do that.  

"Recreational boaters should be aware of USCG Navigation Rule # 9, in particular, which states: (a) A vessel of less than 20 meters (about 65 feet) in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel that can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway. (b) A vessel engaged in fishing shall not impede the passage of any other vessel navigating within a narrow channel or fairway. Boaters must stay out of the way of large vessels working in the channels, and if you’re fishing, you must stay out of the way of any boat in the channel."

And yes I agree with most of us power boaters that 10mph inside the breakwall is not an answer.  Where is the meeting held?

• Like 1

When I'm trolling the end of the Long Wall I'm 15 ft off of it working structure edges of shipping channel,the whole channel is still wide open.Not blocking the channel.Boats for some reason believe they are going to get out to the lake faster by turning the corner right at the end of the wall,they can't use the other 300 ft of channel width in 25 to 30 ft of water?

• Like 1

Mostlymuskies, you post a crap load of great information and helpful tips.  I also bet you are a lot like me in my boating habits.  Pretty safe. Nothing personal but this subject makes me scratch my head.  It's about looking out for your own safety and in doing so you benefit everyone.  I hate to see someone ruin their day of fishing on account of an avoidable incident.

When a boat, even a sailboat, is under way running lights must be displayed, A boat otherwise must display a 360 degree white light. A flash light does not work as I collided with a row boat one night while running at high speed. I just glanced off the side and no injuries happened except I received a couple loose rivets. I turned around and saw the occupants banging their flashlight against the gunwale trying to get it to work. When passing another boat you must slow down if they are in a 100 yard zone of you. But withour a bright light bad things can happen.

You shouldn't be speeding at night

Sent from my iPad using Lake Erie United Mobile App

The first question asked by the authorities after an accident is" what did you do to avoid the accident?" If you did nothing, you are also the guilty party. Right of Way means nothing after an accident. You must do something to avoid an accident, that is the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics