Walleye Walleye page 2017

1 hour ago, dukhnter8 said:

Kingslammin, how deep were the dipsies and downriggers set? When I was out we had a 4, 5 and 7 color lead core out and never got a hit on them, I was changing colors of harnesses. The downrigger was right off the bottom as well as the one dipsy I had out. So I set the other DR to similar depth and got a hit. I was going to set up another dipsy but we had stuff going on in the afternoon and had to leave.

Maybe  try some deeper cores. We caught 9 out of our 11 fish yesterday on 7, 8 and 10 color lead with stickbaits. The 8 and 10 color catching the most and biggest fish, a 9 lbs two 8 lbs and a 7 lbs.  The rest were smaller eaters.  I have not caught a fish yet on my riggers this year.  What lead are you guys running on your riggers?  mine have been set at around 50ft back, which usually works for me.

Maybe  try some deeper cores. We caught 9 out of our 11 fish yesterday on 7, 8 and 10 color lead with stickbaits. The 8 and 10 color catching the most and biggest fish, a 9 lbs two 8 lbs and a 7 lbs.  The rest were smaller eaters.  I have not caught a fish yet on my riggers this year.  What lead are you guys running on your riggers?  mine have been set at around 50ft back, which usually works for me.

Short leads on riggers. Only 7' back

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

I would never have thought to try leads that short but I will now.  Thanks.

A trick I learned along time ago salmon fishing. When you see fish streaking up to your weights on fish finder then dropping back down, a lot of times a shorter lead will get the bait in front of them before they lose interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, fishmaster said:

Yeah I was starting to switch things over to deeper rigs, but we were in the pack when we had fish hit so I was trying to keep everything from tangling. My friend and wife were mostly driving while I was rigging the rods and such. I should have thrown some extra weight on the leadcore as I have the tadpoles in the boat. Also we had to be back by a certain time so only had til 1030-1100 am to fish.

I get settled in at times and don't make changes or think about switching things but get lazy and don't.

King, what type of downrigger weights are you using? I run 30-40 ft lead off my riggers as everyone said walleye are ball shy, but go shorter for salmon. Guess I'll have to try shorter leads.

Another trick of trade we used to do almost 30 years ago was to run flutter spoons on riggers w/say 30 to 50 ft leads..watch your graph..watch when you see hooks (ensure cannonball is below the fish), then pop the lure from the ball, hold rod, let spoon flutter up thru water column and at least half of the time that fish would nail your spoon..kinda fun holding the rod, feeling em grab it and set it...I know this still works as I caught 3 eyes last saturday outta Dunkirk doing this..give it a try..they don't see your cannonball but see that spoon trying to get up and away from them..btw it also works w plugs off riggers..it's also a little more interactive

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 2

Fished Barcelona today first time on erie in 15 years. 7:30 to 12:30. Caught 6 eyes and lost 1 at the boat.3 on dipsys 150 ft back ..2 on fishseeker 110 ft back and 1 on 5 oz snap weight 120 ft back...All on harnesses- black and purple and watermellon.. 65 fow and went west....Thanks for the help making our trip succesful.

Edited by ischua
  • Like 1

There are some really good ideas here about rigging lines for eyes. I would never had thought to run the leads so close to the balls but I will try now.  I usually run reef runners off the riggers that should dive a little lower and a 50' lead.  The popping the down rigger trick is something I learned a long time ago when chartering in Ontario. It worked for a nice eye the other day for us.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree. Can't wait to try some more of these tips. I love to pop the line off the rigger and it is successful. Has anyone experimented with keeping the weight down and sliding another release down the line? Cranking up that canon ball gets old.

Fish On!!

I was out of sturgeon yesterday, got one 18". Was pretty slow for me, tried numerous changes but no fish. I was alone so only able to run 3 rods, marked a ton of bait and fish but couldn't get them to hit. temp was 66.7-69 at probe. Went to the fence on the troll, marked most in the 54 ft depth. DEC guy checking fish said it was slow for most only two other boats had fish, one with one fish and another bottom bouncing had 8.

Seems like I just need to get one system down and stick with it as it seems like there is almost too much info on what is working (not a complaint). Guys are catching fish using all kinds of different set ups, probably specializing in certain ones.

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics