Walleye Walleye page 2017

9/24. Well I guess the curse is off the new boat! Went out of the Catt today and had a better day than yesterday, which I didn't think would be possible. Started late, got there about 730, and by noon we had landed about 23 walleyes. Most ran small today, but were all legal, and out biggest was a 27 inch 6 pounder. Same program as yesterday, harnesses off dipsy divers (the steel chinook divers do not seem to work near as well). Also took some on the spoons, off the riggers, but fluttering off riggers was not as effective today. Also took some off riggers using  a lure called a mag lip. Speed was 1.5 to 1.9 mostly on the fish hawk. Big walleye was caught by having the dipsy diver plowing on the bottom!

• Like 3

Experienced fisherman but not with walleye.  It was my 3rd try at fishing Walleye lifetime, once in my old boat 10 years ago... skunked, once this spring at night landed a HUGE catfish but no walleye.  Been reading about all the success you guys have had and made the trip from Newfane to launch out of the Catt.  Trolled worm harnesses 1.5 to 2.2 but being a salmon guy I had my releases too tight, after about an hour checked the riggers, fish on both, not huge but easily keepers.  Set releases looser, set out the boards with lead core and caught 4 more and had a blast doing it.  I was not out all that long.... next time I make that drive I will stay for the day.59c938b520d27_CoolerFull.thumb.jpg.b15b54d7541a88f5da78b230df2e2e3f.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, lineman49 said:

Then the rings from the dipsy divers should interchange on the slide divers ??

That is correct. The rings come in 2 sizes.If you are running 2 dipseys or 2 slide divers on 1 side of the boat you can run the larger rings on you inside rod so it dives deeper with less line out.Smaller ring on the outside with more line out.Gives you a better spread and less tangles.

• Like 1

Fished the Cat again today. What a difference two days can make. Water temp was 2 + deg higher and the fish I was pounding on some inside water got lockjaw. Tons of marks but tons of silvers too.  Finally, after a two hour fruitless troll, we found them about a mile or two from the border and boxed out.  Tried for perch but the water temp scared them out too. Could not find the bait pods or the perch and came in around 1:00.  Out again tomorrow.

• Like 2

Fished 8:30-noon today took 12, 1 dink and lost three at the boat. Ran exclusively spoons. NBK was the best spoon followed closely by gold with orange ladders. Biggest was 8-9lbs. 80fow off Sunset bay, 1.8mph going into the waves 2.0mph SOG, with them behind us. Took 4-5 silvers as well. Went looking for staging steelhead near the mouth didn't see much. Anybody target or been catching them?

Forgot to mention anytime we ran slower the bite dropped right off.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

Experienced fisherman but not with walleye.  It was my 3rd try at fishing Walleye lifetime, once in my old boat 10 years ago... skunked, once this spring at night landed a HUGE catfish but no walleye.  Been reading about all the success you guys have had and made the trip from Newfane to launch out of the Catt.  Trolled worm harnesses 1.5 to 2.2 but being a salmon guy I had my releases too tight, after about an hour checked the riggers, fish on both, not huge but easily keepers.  Set releases looser, set out the boards with lead core and caught 4 more and had a blast doing it.  I was not out all that long.... next time I make that drive I will stay for the day.59c938b520d27_CoolerFull.thumb.jpg.b15b54d7541a88f5da78b230df2e2e3f.jpg

Nice report. I bet you go more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App
  • Like 3

Fished with a friend NW of sturgeon point yesterday afternoon and evening. Started out drifting in 75 fow with harnesses. Caught a personal best walleye (29 incher, 7.8 lbs). Lake went flat so we finished with Dipsy divers. Ended with 8 keepers. Beautiful sunset. Great to be out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Erie United Mobile App

29 incher, 9.25.17.jpg

Edited by Stillwater
  • Like 3

The change in the weather probably will scatter the fish and mix things up for a while. We were out of the Cat today for our last walleye trip and scored our three man limit before noon. Dipseys and riggers parked around 78' over 85. Renoskis and a Gambler rig.

Thanks Wallychaser... it was special. I could tell it was a good fish right away when she bit my harness. Had my medium/light action spinning rod bent right over and the drag going strong. When she finally came into view and I could see it was a walleye it really got exciting. She came off in the net! I have been dreaming about getting a solid walleye out of Erie and it finally came true!

• Like 1

With the weather pattern changing, do you think the walleye fishing will come to end, here in the eastern basin?

I will tell you that the day the barometer starts dropping as a result of any impending weather front, those fish will be on the feedbag more than they have with this stable high pressure system we have been experiencing for a week and a half

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 2

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics