Walleye Walleye page 2017

5 minutes ago, BigDipper83 said:

Looking to get out Saturday if anyone is looking for a fishing partner throwing it out there. Haven't been able to get my guys to commit to want to take my boat out alone being a fairly noob. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

Where you live man?

3 hours ago, Ten Percent said:

I know this may not be the correct forum to pose this question, but I wanted to get it in front of a bunch of you seasoned walleye guys. Question one. Is there a resource to rebuild reels? I have a couple daiwa 47 LC'S where the line counter doesn't consistently function properly and drag/gears feel funny. Q2 if you were going to buy new line counter reels for dipsey dive use, what would you buy (from experience)..all factors considered..thanks in advance for your feedback

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

If you can carefully take the side off where the line counter is sometimes the gears are just out of alignment  & is an easy fix or might need a little cleaning & a drop of glue. or sometimes just need to push/pull on the reset button.  At least mine was. 

8 hours ago, jimski2 said:

Boxed out today, 3 guys, 8:00 to 11:45 AM. All on harnesses, riggers and dipseys sets set deep. Ran down to one worm left. 77 to 81 foot deep, fish are every where.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

jimski2, what speed should I be running when using a worm harness? Thank You, Garry.

4 hours ago, Ten Percent said:

I wouldn't hesitate to move your rigger release from 4 ft above the ball to right next to it (if relatively easy for you to do). Sometimes fish are attracted to the ball. In the handful of times that I have made it to Erie this summer, I must say our most effective technique was popping lures fro. The ball when we see fish either with spoons clean, worm burner spoons or even harnesses one day

Ok, done, I shortened the distance between ball and release to about 1 foot. Thanks/ 

7 hours ago, Pequod1 said:

Gary, I agree that you might be fishing too high in the water column. I started out with my usual 70 down on the riggers and hit only one eye first thing. All the other eyes came at 78'. I also moved the dipsey divers out another 20' more than my normal.  Another good thing to watch is the Michigan sea grant surface water temps. It showed a 2 deg change in just a short distance at Dunkirk on Wednesday that made all the difference in the world.  As of 11:00 this morn, there still is a little cooler water just east of Dunkirk going to Sturgeon.

Ok, should I look for ( and fish in )   a patch of relatively colder, or warmer, water?

can someone share with me the speeds that are working for you? I  also am having difficulty because we are fishing stick baits, harnesses, and spoons. Seems no speed is right for all of them, and so as I vary speed some are not working at all as far as action. Just ordered an itroll, so I will try the hunt mode and see if that helps, when it finally gets here.

Speed depends on where its measured. I find walleye like 1.6 to 1.8 as measured by a sub-troll probe at the ball ( using harnesses). If I look at my GPS speed it will report 2 or more when the sub-troll is 1.6 to 1.8   Could be a calibration error on one or the other or it could be under water currents or wave direction (wind) driven.  Also making wide S turns while trolling, The inside of the turn lures will slow down and the outside lures will speed up. Which ones are getting hit should help you decide if your need to speed up or slow down while trolling in a straight line.

• Like 1

I did a lot of Lake O trolling for a long time as a captain and used a temp/speed troll at the ball. Absolute must for salmon. Not so much for erie. Everything I do is the same as Fishkiller, 1.9-2.1. I also attach the releases right to the ball. I would love to stack them like I did for salmon but walleyes have a tendency to tangle up two lines more than salmon.  Ten Percent - rebuild that reel. I like the 47lc. They have held up for years. Just rebuild the drag washers now and then and lube.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, garrymny said:

can someone share with me the speeds that are working for you? I  also am having difficulty because we are fishing stick baits, harnesses, and spoons. Seems no speed is right for all of them, and so as I vary speed some are not working at all as far as action. Just ordered an itroll, so I will try the hunt mode and see if that helps, when it finally gets here.

I run spoons, sticks and harnesses all at the same time as well Gary. I have caught on all three every time out this summer. I sent you a PM, I could take you out Saturday morning if interested. My boat, my gear, only because I know what I have and am comfortable using it. You can have the fish we catch and it won't cost you a dime. 

• Like 4

I run spoons, sticks and harnesses all at the same time as well Gary. I have caught on all three every time out this summer. I sent you a PM, I could take you out Saturday morning if interested. My boat, my gear, only because I know what I have and am comfortable using it. You can have the fish we catch and it won't cost you a dime. 

You better hop on that offer

• Like 2

I jump on that offer in min if I needed to to learn the ropes good deal TEN. This is one great site

Sent from my VS986 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Thanks for the info on speeds guys, I am incorpating everything you all have said, for Saturday. Went to lighter leaders, 15 lb floro, and shortened the downrigger cable below the ball, etc. I'll keep the speed 1. 6 to 1.9 on the fish hawk, and I'm thinking that will be the GPS speed of 1.9 to 2.1. thanks again, and yes this is a great site, with some really good folks on here.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

I know this may not be the correct forum to pose this question, but I wanted to get it in front of a bunch of you seasoned walleye guys. Question one. Is there a resource to rebuild reels? I have a couple daiwa 47 LC'S where the line counter doesn't consistently function properly and drag/gears feel funny. Q2 if you were going to buy new line counter reels for dipsey dive use, what would you buy (from experience)..all factors considered..thanks in advance for your feedback

Ten Percent, Call Chris Kempf at Chris's Reel Repair 716-400-9258
Local in Cheektawaga!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

14 hours ago, garrymny said:

I don't have down speed so I fish from 1.5 to 2.2 GPS and let the fish tell me where they want it.

Hey guys it's easy out there right now don't over think it too much. Find the fish on the graph and fish right through them. Lake has been flat so there is not much current and the water temp doesn't change a lot this time of year. 

We have been trolling spoons and chatters at higher speeds 2.5 to 2.7. 

Good luck and if you have not been catching fish the past few weeks you need to hire a charter because you are doing something wrong. 

• Like 4

Like RD9 said, it's easy out there right now.  You don't need to troll slow and run harnesses unless you really want to mess with worms.  We have been trolling sticks and spoons at 2.5 to 2.7 for the last 3 weeks and have caught just as many fish as the next guy.  Bonus of trolling faster and deep is you can pick up steelhead at the same time as walleye.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics