Walleye Walleye page 2017

I've been running the big dipsy on 2.5 setting they trip about half the time but as long as keep eye on rod tip you can see them on it

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I concur..you can see them hit and/or be on the dipsey if they don't trip it..I have had good action on the #1 dipsey 200 back on a 1 setting ( as I don't have the magnum dipsey yet, but will soon).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

After reading all those great reports while I was in  L.A., I finally got back and had my turn. Went to Dunkirk only to find the water temp has gone up to 74 from 68 this past weekend. This definitely scattered the eyes. We tried for a couple of hours first thing for perch in 65-68 and caught a bunch but nothing over 8"!  Trolled from 10-1 and found a few fish. They were 78 over 103 for us and really nothing much at any other depth. We went west but I heard at the dock that they did better in front of Purina plant. wound up with 8 which is great but not the three man limits in two hours. Used rainbow renoskis and Michigan stinger alewife spoons. Riggers and both wire and mono dipsey rods. Mono at 3 back 220 and wire at 1 1/2 back 185.

I've been running the big dipsy on 2.5 setting they trip about half the time but as long as keep eye on rod tip you can see them on it

We discovered these little bells through one of our distributors that attaches to your rod. No more missed dipsy hits. I will have them at the shows this year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

Once again, we did not have the successful outing that others have reported. We launched 9/20, Thursday at the catt, at 615 pm. Went straight out to 77 FOW. based on the information here I put out a 5 color leadcore on an inline board, with a harness, and a 10 color core on an inline board with a bay rat. Then we put a dipsey out each side. Through the night they were switched often with various stick baits and harnesses. We also had the riggers down with spoons, harnesses, and a smithwick perfect 20, etc. We only got two walleyes and two silver bass, and we fished until 930 pm. Saw lots of hooks on the screen, at times it was unreal. Cannot figure out what we are doing wrong. Tried speeds from 1.2 to 2.7 and everything in between. Guys coming in when we launched said they had their limit. I wonder why with so many walleyes down there you can't just jig for them? Tried that last time, no good.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pequod1 said:

After reading all those great reports while I was in  L.A., I finally got back and had my turn. Went to Dunkirk only to find the water temp has gone up to 74 from 68 this past weekend. This definitely scattered the eyes. We tried for a couple of hours first thing for perch in 65-68 and caught a bunch but nothing over 8"!  Trolled from 10-1 and found a few fish. They were 78 over 103 for us and really nothing much at any other depth. We went west but I heard at the dock that they did better in front of Purina plant. wound up with 8 which is great but not the three man limits in two hours. Used rainbow renoskis and Michigan stinger alewife spoons. Riggers and both wire and mono dipsey rods. Mono at 3 back 220 and wire at 1 1/2 back 185.

I am surprised you run mono line on your dipsey's  way too much stretch.  I would suggest braided line instead for better detection of hits.  jmo. but I think others will agree.

• Like 3

I've also been catching most fish within 8 feet of the bottom in 70 to 90 FOW. not to say I haven't caught a few about half way down. but the majority have been caught just off the bottom.

2 hours ago, RD9 said:

Your fishing to high in water column. Get it down 70 to 80 ft and you'll be in business.   

• Like 1

Ok guys thanks for the advice. We have been fishing the bottom, at least I think we are but maybe we need to be literally within a foot of the bottom. My downrigger releases are mounted about 3 to 4 feet above the ball. Also, the guys were letting out 300 feet of line on the dipsey and one even had a deep dive on it! We will be out there again Saturday trying again.

• Like 1

Gary, I agree that you might be fishing too high in the water column. I started out with my usual 70 down on the riggers and hit only one eye first thing. All the other eyes came at 78'. I also moved the dipsey divers out another 20' more than my normal.  Another good thing to watch is the Michigan sea grant surface water temps. It showed a 2 deg change in just a short distance at Dunkirk on Wednesday that made all the difference in the world.  As of 11:00 this morn, there still is a little cooler water just east of Dunkirk going to Sturgeon.

• Like 1

Ok guys thanks for the advice. We have been fishing the bottom, at least I think we are but maybe we need to be literally within a foot of the bottom. My downrigger releases are mounted about 3 to 4 feet above the ball. Also, the guys were letting out 300 feet of line on the dipsey and one even had a deep dive on it! We will be out there again Saturday trying again.

Gary,

I have been running a ten color just to keep something up a bit. Everything else is sent to the depths. Dipsey on a 3 setting out 220 has been the hottest thing I have fished. On Saturday we boxed out with a three man limit in just a few hours, similar to what many others are doing. We fished that dipsey with a copper spoon on it and twice we were hooked up in less than a minute of putting rod in holder. You are fishing size 1 dipsies? Have you tried fluttering rigger rods, popping them off when your in a school of fish? As long as fish are in the vicinity of the ball or up higher it has worked for us a lot this past month. I personally notice a difference in spoons with gold backs and silver backs although some guys are doing fine with either. It can be frustrating when many others are limiting in less time than it takes to drive to lake and back but hang in there. It may be just one small piece of the puzzle missing, the fun is trying to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App
  • Like 2

I also agree with the othersabout fishing too high up. I had a 4 and 5 color lc out and got one fish while dipsey and Dr took the rest of a 2 person limit. I had a 7 color out also, as I forgot my 2nd dipsey rod, all it got was moved around. I have had great luck with an alewife spoon. Dark front silver back, but Orange with copper also took fish

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

I wouldn't hesitate to move your rigger release from 4 ft above the ball to right next to it (if relatively easy for you to do). Sometimes fish are attracted to the ball. In the handful of times that I have made it to Erie this summer, I must say our most effective technique was popping lures fro. The ball when we see fish either with spoons clean, worm burner spoons or even harnesses one day

• Like 3

I know this may not be the correct forum to pose this question, but I wanted to get it in front of a bunch of you seasoned walleye guys. Question one. Is there a resource to rebuild reels? I have a couple daiwa 47 LC'S where the line counter doesn't consistently function properly and drag/gears feel funny. Q2 if you were going to buy new line counter reels for dipsey dive use, what would you buy (from experience)..all factors considered..thanks in advance for your feedback

• Like 1

Wife and I out last weekend off catt did well trolling for a while then decided to cut the engine and drop shot a couple lines straight down to the bottom with 2 crawlers on a line in 82 ft of water. We were marking so many fish like everyone has been saying so figured why not drop lunch right on them. Picked up 4 keepers this way and lost 3 and had a bunch of hits. Sometimes just trying something different works out.

Now you know the next time I try this it won't work.....

Sent from my LGL62VL using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Ten Percent, i am not sure how seasoned I am but this is my opinion none the less. I am not of the mindset that you need to spend a ton of money on trolling gear. Sure I have overspent on my favorite spinning, baitcasting or mooching setups, YES! Don't tell my wife. I have gotten by very nicely on Okuma Convectors. They are reasonably priced with some nice deals eBay or Amazon. I have put them through a lot and the just keep ticking. They are smooth with decent drags and the line counters on more than the dozen I have are still operational after 5-10 years of use(abuse). I use them for everything from leadcore, dispy, to braid for bottom bouncing. Sure I would like a while battery of Tekotas or better, I just don't see the need as a recreational angler. Perhaps my opinion would change if I was running a charter service.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

• Like 2

Ten Percent, i am not sure how seasoned I am but this is my opinion none the less. I am not of the mindset that you need to spend a ton of money on trolling gear. Sure I have overspent on my favorite spinning, baitcasting or mooching setups, YES! Don't tell my wife. I have gotten by very nicely on Okuma Convectors. They are reasonably priced with some nice deals eBay or Amazon. I have put them through a lot and the just keep ticking. They are smooth with decent drags and the line counters on more than the dozen I have are still operational after 5-10 years of use(abuse). I use them for everything from leadcore, dispy, to braid for bottom bouncing. Sure I would like a while battery of Tekotas or better, I just don't see the need as a recreational angler. Perhaps my opinion would change if I was running a charter service.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United
Even the charter I went on ran connectors. I run diawa 47lc and okuma Magda I like both. Will be buying convector as needed to replace or build up my spread. I use them for salmon too

Ten Percent - a good source for reel repair and reel parts is Tuna's Reel Troubles in Ludington, Michigan.  If your Daiwa's are the Great Lakes Series you might find limited parts availability.  I run a variety of Daiwa line counters from Saltist series to 47SGLCA's.  IMO the reel is the place to put your money and you can save some bucks on trolling rods.  Diver reels can get a workout especially if you spend time on Lake O as well as Erie.

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics