Walleye Walleye page 2017

Got up, read the reports and decided to make the two hour trip to Dunkirk. We waited for the rain to pass and left late arriving at 10:30. Fort all excited because boats were on there way in with their limits.  Not to be. Someone turned off the switch. Trolled from 11;00 - 3:00 and landed 5 fish with two throwbacks. Way to many sheepies and a few silvers. Used wire dispel, riggers and lead core but could not get them going. Best picture was at 82' west of the harbor. Usually I am a day late, but three hours -Yikes.

We fished Dunkirk today too, got on the water at 9am fished until 3 . Boated 15 eyes kept 8 between my dad and I. Keepers were 18-29" three between 5 & 6 1/2 pounds. Best bite was from 11 am- 1:00 in 95-105 feet of water. Bigger fish were suspended 40/100. All on harnesses. One 10 pound laker too , abfun couple days for sure ... now back to work tomorrow.

Most likely met most of you. My name is Ron avid Walleye fisherman and this afternoons bite was awesome. I'm in sales in the construction / gas and oil industry when I'm not fishing or parenting. Sometimes I mix the two together and take my customers fishing. 

Fishing has been good as it gets but tonight was special. Started fishing today about five and had a good steady pick out of Dunkirk. Lots of small Walleye. Clouds starting coming about 7 and a diver set back 200 gets crushed on a turn. Hand the pole to a 10 year old kid from Illinois and I'm sure it's a trout. After 15 minutes and some tightening of the drag. Dipsey appears with with the fish still out of site. Damn 12 ft leads. So I'm like walk her back and I see gold and I get anxiety like you wouldn't believe. Before I know it it's laying in the bottom of boat and I'm cursing like sailor. 10lbs 30.75 inches. 

Ten minutes later riggers goes with a custom painted Rasmussen spoon (if you're around Dunkirk you know).  Hand the rod too his twelve year old brother.  Big fish!!, we drop her 35 ft from boat.  Disappointment sets in for big brother. 

830 sunset is gourgeos and little brother is just pumped but his brother has the look of disappointment.  I hand him the rigger rod to flutter.  I'm sure it's going to go but nothing.  More disappointment.  As he is reeling it in I see the last rod in the water a dipsey I just kreeped out to 225 goes hard.  I grab it an instantly know it's a good one.  

I was right head shake after head shake.  Good thing I had four Busch lights left over from the sunset shootout on ice because I was so damn nervous for him. His dad had to have one too!! This one doesn't stay down mouth is open and is thrashing 50 ft behind boat.  Well we got him and he was a twin maybe a little skinnier then his brothers but the same length 30.75 maybe 31 even.  

What a night and both will go on there wall in Illinois.  As far as are secret setup watermelon big blade worm doesn't get any more old school then that.  

Pumped! we crushed a bunch more. Nothing like seeing a kid new to fishing catch a big fish.  I left my two boys home since this was a work thing in sense.  My youngest opens the cooler and says you needed those last weekend.  

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

• Like 11

Fished yesterday solo out of Dunkirk 700-130pm. Water temps were all over the place. Managed to get my first NY Erie limit, 16-21" fish no big ones but I am happy with the nice eaters as well as happy that the future of this fishery looks like it will be great for a few more years at least. Fished 65-80 fow most fish were tight to the bottom, best area was 71 fow temp there was in the 70's on the probe. Had to keep checking the rods as many of the small throwbacks were tagging along for a ride so I probably could have been done earlier. Started out a little bumpy in the morning but then the wind died and the water got almost glass flat. Got fish on blue chatterstick and darker harnesses. DR 67-69 down and dipsey at 1.5 200 feet back (it's a deeper diver). Water temp was 60-72 on the Depth raider probe, there were pockets of warmer water where I got fish and pockets of colder water, this NE wind coming will probably mix things even more.

Pequod1, I checked the chart when I was out and supposedly the deeper diver I am using is 83-88 ft with 200 feet of line out but I didn't hit bottom in 71-75 fow. I did go into 67 fow and seemed like it was ticking bottom there. I still generally use the 3 to 1 rule and try setting it out further or closer if not getting hits.

Erie eye limit July 2017.jpg

Edited by dukhnter8
added pic
  • Like 1

Nice RD9, I took a young boy bass fishing on Erie years ago. He must have caught 40 bass that evening,after 20 years, I seen him at a soccer game with his young son and He said to me your the reason I bought a boat and go fishing now, Thank you so much. THEY WILL NEVER EVER  FORGET THIS TIME. nice job.

• Like 2

Most likely met most of you. My name is Ron avid Walleye fisherman and this afternoons bite was awesome. I'm in sales in the construction / gas and oil industry when I'm not fishing or parenting. Sometimes I mix the two together and take my customers fishing. 
Fishing has been good as it gets but tonight was special. Started fishing today about five and had a good steady pick out of Dunkirk. Lots of small Walleye. Clouds starting coming about 7 and a diver set back 200 gets crushed on a turn. Hand the pole to a 10 year old kid from Illinois and I'm sure it's a trout. After 15 minutes and some tightening of the drag. Dipsey appears with with the fish still out of site. Damn 12 ft leads. So I'm like walk her back and I see gold and I get anxiety like you wouldn't believe. Before I know it it's laying in the bottom of boat and I'm cursing like sailor. 10lbs 30.75 inches. 
Ten minutes later riggers goes with a custom painted Rasmussen spoon (if you're around Dunkirk you know).  Hand the rod too his twelve year old brother.  Big fish!!, we drop her 35 ft from boat.  Disappointment sets in for big brother. 
830 sunset is gourgeos and little brother is just pumped but his brother has the look of disappointment.  I hand him the rigger rod to flutter.  I'm sure it's going to go but nothing.  More disappointment.  As he is reeling it in I see the last rod in the water a dipsey I just kreeped out to 225 goes hard.  I grab it an instantly know it's a good one.  
I was right head shake after head shake.  Good thing I had four Busch lights left over from the sunset shootout on ice because I was so damn nervous for him. His dad had to have one too!! This one doesn't stay down mouth is open and is thrashing 50 ft behind boat.  Well we got him and he was a twin maybe a little skinnier then his brothers but the same length 30.75 maybe 31 even.  
What a night and both will go on there wall in Illinois.  As far as are secret setup watermelon big blade worm doesn't get any more old school then that.  
Pumped! we crushed a bunch more. Nothing like seeing a kid new to fishing catch a big fish.  I left my two boys home since this was a work thing in sense.  My youngest opens the cooler and says you needed those last weekend.  

IMG_0315.thumb.JPG.afe4f8e9c840c17d8ed360b927bbb639.JPG
IMG_0317.thumb.JPG.e57f5674fef39694a7e7580fe804f12a.JPG
IMG_0324.thumb.JPG.bb4bca5380e3a8b32b6dda956eb911e6.JPG
IMG_0327.thumb.JPG.0510bb2f39bf542d739d922fce437b27.JPG

Thanks for the story!!! Awesome turning young kids onto a great sport whether it's fishing, hunting, camping..anything outdoors, off the couch and off the electronics..great job!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 2

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics