Walleye Walleye page 2017

Yeah Larry - been very rough weather year.  We have a web cam setup on Lake Ontario right on water's edge that has been interesting to watch.  The property owner there has many sandbags behind it to help with high water.  Here is link:

https://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/page/lakeontario_map/

(scroll down little bit to view live camera feed).   Would love to get something this close to the water setup on Lake Erie as well.  Looking for property owners or county that would be willing to let us set one up.  We will supply camera, setup and pay monthly streaming fees if I can find someone.

• Like 3

Todays weather report for Lake Erie from Buffalo to Dunkirk was supposed to have been North at 10 mph.
Instead it ended up Northeast at 15mph and 3 to 4 ft waves in short duration.Client grabbed windshield on big wave and it pulled apart,glass is pulled out of frame at bottom.So had to idle in from SP to SBH at 5 mph so as to not break the glass.All that and only 2 keeper eyes!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mostlymuskies said:

Todays weather report for Lake Erie from Buffalo to Dunkirk was supposed to have been North at 10 mph.
Instead it ended up Northeast at 15mph and 3 to 4 ft waves in short duration.Client grabbed windshield on big wave and it pulled apart,glass is pulled out of frame at bottom.So had to idle in from SP to SBH at 5 mph so as to not break the glass.All that and only 2 keeper eyes!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Do you think tomorrow's fishing will be better with the forecasted south/ southeast wind? Or did today's blow mess things up for a couple days ?

So looking at the weather for Saturday and one site has: Northeast winds 10 to 15 knots increasing to 15 to 25 knots. A chance of showers during the day. Waves 1 to 3 feet building to 3 to 6 feet. Waves occasionally around 7 feet.  http://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=lez041#.WXiAlGqou71 and another has: NNE wind 7 to 9 kt. Mostly sunny. Waves 1 ft or less. http://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-78.90990&lat=42.80855#.WXiBK2qou73 

I'm not sure which to believe as both are the National Weather service and have been updated 645 am and 430 am today (respectively).

But both have tomorrow as 1 ft waves so I am going to try it and will report.

We fished SP today, and boated 15 fish....... 7 of which made it to the cooler. We also dropped 3 on the way to the boat. Not much trash..... 2 sheep, 1 sliver.....Not many fish on the graph, and the fish we marked were within 10' of bottom. There was quite a bit of bait 20 - 35 down, and I ran a 5 color for a while but it took no fish.  Almost all fish came on harnesses off the riggers close to the bottom but a couple came on a spoons on the wire divers out 185 to 200.  We spent most of the day in 68 - 74 fow. 1.4 -1.6 mph on the Depth Raider. Down temp where we were was 71 + / - 1 F. Watermelon did alot of work.........

• Like 2

We spent the day at Dunkirk ... west of harbor from 65-85 FOW. Fished from 8-3:30 six rods, two on riggers two with snap weights and two with 6oz bottom bouncers. Boated 19 walleyes, 2 perch and a sheep . Brought home 8 eyes and two perch .  No big fish lots of skinny 13-15" future freezer fillers that went back strong .The best technique was popping riggers up through fish with watermelon harness blades and a old school June bug spinner with a crawler . My dad (70 yrs old) insisted on trying it " like the old days ". I had my doubts but it took 8 hits off the rigger!! I'm a believer . We lost a few on the way in including what would have been the big fish of the day . Not a quality day but a good quantity day for a few rookies. Thanks for all the tips on here !

Jeff

• Like 1

On 7/24/2017 at 7:37 AM, Ckawski said:

Idk exactly where u were fishing but there was a vein of cold water that moved in 75 ft of water that was 58 degrees on my probe probably 400 yds big or so

Sent from my VS990 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

I've experienced this almost every year out of Barcelona, the temp break doesn't have to be as extreme as you experienced, these pockets hold bait/fish and often big fish

• Like 1

Fished from 3 to 9 pm yesterday. Started drifting in 72 feet west of SP. Got several nice perch. Moved back towards SP around 7 and found some marks. Caught 1 short eye, lost better one, lost rod & reel to good fish, got a few more perch and 4 sheeps. Not the results I was looking for but it was a nice evening on the water. A bit calm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics