Walleye Walleye page 2017

out of Dunkirk today. caught 13 kept 5 with 8 throw backs , 3 jumbo perch and some junk fish to boot. west of Dunkirk, best producer was a bomber 15 long A on 7 core lead caught most of the keeps with the biggest around 8.5 lbs and black & purple harness on a dipsey out 130 on a # 3 setting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Fished out of SBH today, 58 to 60 FOW 1/2 mile inside the fence. Boxed 5 nice fish 22 to 24 inches and released a 31" sow that was pushing 10 lbs. Fished for a while closer to Buffalo then went southwest looking for better water and found it. The picture closer to Buffalo had fish but little to no bait. Once I got about 8 miles down there was lots of bait with active fish under it and the bite was on. Everything happened from 10 to 11:30. 

7 and 9 color, and 2 color off the rigger did all the work, Double willow fire tiger, perch hologram single hatchet, and double blade copper colorado were the only harnesses I ran and all took fish. 

I often hear on the radio guys saying they mark a lot but no takers and I am convinced these are fish that are not actively feeding. As we say in FL, find the bait, find the fish!

Oh yea, the interns at the National Weather Service are still trying to learn to forecast today's wind and waves and still failing.

IMG_20170718_122815349.jpg

IMG_20170718_105514312.jpg

Edited by MyTurn

Fished yesterday a little west of Dunkirk. Boxed 9 and had three throwbacks.  80' of water 10 color, riggers from 70-75 and dipsy  1 1/2 setting 160 back. I fished all crystalina renoskis.  Took 4 fish by dropping the rigger to 78 and popping the rod off jigging the lure up to the top.  That's a lot of fun. Getting to feel the hit and playing on a line free of weight makes you appreciate the fight.

Fished out of Sturgeon Point yesterday from 8 to 2 pm. Went west and drifted with harnesses and bouncers in water ranging from 60 t0 70 feet. Plenty of marks and some bait clouds on screen from time to time. Not a very productive day but it was good to be out for first time on Erie this season. A trolling boat went by and caught one a few hundred feet from us. Caught 1 drum and my buddy had a good one on and lost it. Line was cut clean above the bouncer so it might have got cut by the gill plate? Was a good fish. Bummer. Looking forward to next outing.

Might have to take up trolling but we enjoy the rod in hand bite and fight. 

Regarding wind / wave forecast we were expecting 1 foot or less and for a while they were at least 3+ feet I would say. Not a problem but interesting to see the variation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Fished out of Sturgeon Point yesterday from 8 to 2 pm. Went west and drifted with harnesses and bouncers in water ranging from 60 t0 70 feet. Plenty of marks and some bait clouds on screen from time to time. Not a very productive day but it was good to be out for first time on Erie this season. A trolling boat went by and caught one a few hundred feet from us. Caught 1 drum and my buddy had a good one on and lost it. Line was cut clean above the bouncer so it might have got cut by the gill plate? Was a good fish. Bummer. Looking forward to next outing.

Might have to take up trolling but we enjoy the rod in hand bite and fight. 

Regarding wind / wave forecast we were expecting 1 foot or less and for a while they were at least 3+ feet I would say. Not a problem but interesting to see the variation.

I tried drift bottom bouncing early and had no bites. Speed on the drift was 1.3 to 1.5 Once I started trolling I got all my fish trolling northeast at 1.9 to 2.1 mph

• Like 1

Wow, great info MyTurn. This might explain at least some of our lack of bites...
plus we drove over a fresh road kill skunk on the Thruway and it may have came with us out on the water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Yeah..I heard a long time ago that creating a long "skunk slick" while trolling Erie shuts the walleyes right down..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

They may not have been spinning at the ideal speed yesterday but I have had success with the same bouncer & harness in even less wind a few times in the past. I will give the rod a jigging pump every so often to change the speed, sometimes this can trigger a bite. It doesn't take very much to make them spin. 

• Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics