Walleye Walleye page 2017

My take on the fishing lately is all the Easterly/ Northeasterly/Southeasterly winds for the past week is upwelling of colder water from deep colder depths moved the walleyes and others back down the lake to Pennsylvania, Ohio and central basin areas. One group landed sixty walleyes in a day over the PA line. The smallest fish was 7.5 pounds. Today's strong southwest blow should return things to normal. By the way I noticed the the tiger lilies are starting to show their buds so the blossoms are soon to be out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

• Like 1

The single biggest key to our Walleye fishing success besides countless hrs on the water and communication with other anglers in the know (make some friends whom know how to fish). Is a good contour map on your graph,it is absolutely invaluable. When fishing structure based fish I can keep on breaks others can't. Auto chart live on the hummingbird bird is amazing. For example I can fish the section from east of vanburen to Barcelona and stay in 60 ft were we use to stay off certain passes of fear of loosing a whole bunch of segmented cores. Take example the fingers off Barcelona, fish those on a north south troll or east / west and find sections that hold fish. Makes the difference between a limit and a few fish on tough days. 

Or wait till mid July grab the boat run a four rod spread, have a beverage and catch a handful by doing just a few simple things. Some days we just go fishing and don't worry that much. 

The single biggest key to our Walleye fishing success besides countless hrs on the water and communication with other anglers in the know (make some friends whom know how to fish). Is a good contour map on your graph,it is absolutely invaluable. When fishing structure based fish I can keep on breaks others can't. Auto chart live on the hummingbird bird is amazing. For example I can fish the section from east of vanburen to Barcelona and stay in 60 ft were we use to stay off certain passes of fear of loosing a whole bunch of segmented cores. Take example the fingers off Barcelona, fish those on a north south troll or east / west and find sections that hold fish. Makes the difference between a limit and a few fish on tough days. 
Or wait till mid July grab the boat run a four rod spread, have a beverage and catch a handful by doing just a few simple things. Some days we just go fishing and don't worry that much. 

I run simple spreads bttm bouncing and long lining...i really on my maping and gps trails pretty heavy...when we find active fish with that combo its so simple to short drift fish...just making wide loops back n not running directly over the fish

Sent from my SM-G930P using Lake Erie United Mobile App

1 hour ago, peas247 said:

There are tons of small secluded rock piles all over this basin that hold fish...i get the rigger and dispy / leadcore n boards all that fancy jazz...its good for the deep water...but theres no way you can bring a spread in run to the top of a drift and reset in 5 mins

Absolutely correct, find your best way to catch em and stick with what works. 

My point was not my way is right, it's just an example of how taking what we previously did and improved on it. The one thing I love talking to other fisherman about is how we all do really different things, but the same. Our tactics are geared towards open water trolling. That's what we enjoy. 

Fishing tournaments people are tight lipped but you ask the right questions and see what they are running you can learn a lot. 

Not saying you bagger but it don't hurt to take a look and ask politely. You alway get we got them on  three color or five color. That really doesn't tell you much. One example is I always thought we fished deeper then most and then I fished in a tourney right next to the winner we did good he caught a huge box. We fished five and seven colors at 2.2, they fished three colors at half the speed. We both fished the same fish at the roughly the same depth, but there presentation was better. 

Absolutely correct, find your best way to catch em and stick with what works. 
My point was not my way is right, it's just an example of how taking what we previously did and improved on it. The one thing I love talking to other fisherman about is how we all do really different things, but the same. Our tactics are geared towards open water trolling. That's what we enjoy. 
Fishing tournaments people are tight lipped but you ask the right questions and see what they are running you can learn a lot. 
Not saying you bagger but it don't hurt to take a look and ask politely. You alway get we got them on  three color or five color. That really doesn't tell you much. One example is I always thought we fished deeper then most and then I fished in a tourney right next to the winner we did good he caught a huge box. We fished five and seven colors at 2.2, they fished three colors at half the speed. We both fished the same fish at the roughly the same depth, but there presentation was better. 

For sure...i like the run and gun style of hittin structure..runs a couple passes if quiet move on...more of a hunting style than just pulling long trolls...everyones different...to each there own as long as you enjoy yourself and have fun with it...

An "old timer" would use ranges from onshore structures in his oar powered 14 foot boat. Holding two bottom bouncers in his hands with the oars he would work his marks and catch walleyes. He would slide his fish over the transom with no net showing. Then he spun the boat around on a dime and returned to his spot where he caught the last fish. No one was shown anything. No graphs, chart plotters, trolling motors, just his spot he knew. Most important was if you fished with him and you went to a different bar, you were shunned forever as you would brag of your success and nosy people would crowd your spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

• Like 2

jimski2,Ha Ha! Yes the old guys Muskie trolling the upper Niagara River at night in the late 70's used similar tatics,no lights on so you could not see them.Then before returning back to Hank's Boat Livery they would change out lures on their rods so you would see what you thought they were using.Everything was a secret to the grave!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 2

We fished SP this morning, and ran to Myers. We Bottom Bounced there with harnesses from 6:30 - 9:30, and only took 2 fish, 17 and 18" on harnesses 32 fow.... Then, looking for something better, we ran out to about a mile from the fence and fished north, but there were very few fish out there..... We fished a mix of plugs/spoons/harnesses on a 5 color, 3 color, riggers, and divers, from 10 til noon and never took a hit. There were a few fish laying in the deeper water, but not many.Temps on top were warmer than I expected, 68- 69, and there wasn't much cold water on the bottom. Bottom temps were 67 - 68 in 58 to 60 fow. Nice day until the storm threatened.....maybe next time.

• Like 1

Fished 45 to 50 north of Seneca today. 7 walleye couple of 16" throwbacks. All on harnesses on 5 and 7 color and the 30 jet. Keepers were 20 to 23". Challenging fishing with the sudden light changes during and after the T storm to the west. Once it got bright it killed the bite for about an hour or so but it turned back on. Copper and copper watermelon when it was cloudy then nuke green when it got bright.

Ground out a decent box of eaters fishing solo.

• Like 2

Hit the mouth of the upper river last night.  Trolled deep dive plugs.  One bass.  Fed up with my results I went Ice Fishing Style on them.  Tipped a jigging rapala with a worm.  Drifted until I saw good marks and dropped it on their heads.  Bam! a nice eye on the first drop.  Next two drops were sheepheads.  Lots of fun.  The bite stopped after dark and I didn't feel like trolling the walls so in I went.  Great night to be out.  

• Like 1

zadvorney,Try a small gold spinnerbait with spring clip,add 2 ounce green head with eyes,brown skirt hair jig,tipped with a crawler.Slow lift drop along the bottom at Cargil grain elevator pier end hump drop from 15 ft to 34 ft and over by the Coke Channel ,just before entering left side 37 ft hole off 30 ft South Gap.Always eyes at both spots.

Look forward to trying that. I used to use red head jigs with black and white hair with good success in the Susquehanna as a kid. If I can find some I'll dig them out and try that as well. I know trolling is an effective means to fill coolers but it can get boring. I like the turn and burn method punctuated by a vicious strike.

zadvorney,You want good action at night boat down the backside of Donley's Wall to sand bar,beach your boat and quietly walk over end of wall and toss Vibrex Spinner with emerald green tape with strip of white glow tape,with crawler and cast out over the 5 to 7ft water at end of wall. You will have your limit in eyes in short time.Don't forget to laugh and wave at the lined up trollers!

I like that spot. I watched two boats fill their coolers while I squeezed out two. Lol. So many fish to catch within five minutes of launching at the small boat harbor. I know there are plenty of great fishing spots all over the lake but I'd like to concentrate on just the river mouth this year. If I can catch an eye or three I'm happy. Everything else is a bonus.

• Like 1

Fished north of Seneca this morning in 40 to 45 feet of water.  Too rough to troll any other direction but with the waves at our back so we trolled toward windmills to about 32 fow. We picked up three on our first pass down through. One on a 5 color with a purple Bay Rat, one off the rigger parked about 5' off bottom with a fire tiger Bay Rat 70' back and one a 5 color with a purple harness, Colorado blades. Pulled everything and ran back out to 45 fow north of Seneca again and tried another run through them, picked up another on the 5 color with the same purple Bay Rat. Lost two others behind boat. At that point it was 10:30 and the lake was getting rough, probably 3' to 5' so we pulled and went in.  Seemed like a lot of other people pulled out around the same time. 3 of the fish were around 3 or 4 pounds, one was 7 lbs. had to deal with 3 or 4 sheepshead as well. Not exactly hot and heavy for us but we managed a few before getting blown off, wish we wouldn't of lost those other two. Looks like tomorrow is a work around the house day with the weather forecast. Good luck everybody. 

• Like 3

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics