which fish finder should I get

which fish finder should I get

Looking for help. I want to get a new fish finder  and there are lots of options , and hoping to get input from everyone here so I make the best decision for me .

Im willing to spend around $1500 ish, and like hummingbirds, and recently put on an ulterra with link. Im from South east PA. and do plenty of different types of fishing . I fish year round , and like to fish home waters for perch crappie and walleye and occasionally striper in river and bays,and lakes. I do a bunch on the St Lawrence for eyes, and now Ive been getting into Lake Ontario trolling . I like what Im reading on side and down imaging as well as the mapping feature of some models and of course marking way points and such. I dont have to spend that much money if I dont have to but will spend more if thats what I need to. Please help with any opinions ,I dont get to spend money on every little thing that comes along so I just want to make the right purchase.

Thanks,

Chuck

I just purchased a Helix 9 SI/DI/Mega.  Personally, I wanted the added capabilities you get when you have iPilot Link on your trolling motor and a networked Humminbird.  Also, the clarity of the mega si/di along with the auto-charting was a big bonus!  Let us know what you end up going with!

--Joe

wishinfishin -- Do you have a Bass Pro or a Cabelas near you?  I stopped by my local Cabelas and played with the resolutions and different models for over an hour before I made my selection.  From the "Preview Mode", you can change the frequency through the menu system which will allow you to see the difference between Standard Definition, High Definition, and Mega.  I thought there was enough difference to warrant spending the extra for Mega, but to each their own...I know many people would tell you to pay the extra for the 10", but I could not see a difference in resolutions between the 9 mega and the 10 mega.  I guess it is just how your eyes see it!

I think the Mega would be nice for you when you are in the river, bays, and the lakes.  I do not think it will be that much help when you are on Lake Ontario or the St Lawrence due to depths.

--Joe

Ther is a cabelas somewhat close , they didnt have one on display when I was there a few months ago, I believe they were in the process of discounting older ones and getting the new ones in, they had some good prices but I wasnt sure what I wanted at that time.  But good point checking them out in store.Thanks for the advice.

Chuck

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics