leadcore set ups

I set up a 7 color last year and used braid as the backing. I used the willis knot. I looked around on LOU and didn't find anything saying to use a different knot for the braid to leadcore. But this has me thinking that I should keep an eye on it, just in case.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ten Percent said:

do any of you guys run your lead core rigs on inline planar boards to get them out & away from the boat? I have the offshore "OR12" 's (not the magnum size ones).... can you run a 5 or 7 color on the OR12's?

I run anything up to 10 color on them with no problems at all.  I modified mine like shown on the Bloodrun Tackle website as soon as I bought them.  I have not run them "stock" and don't know if there is a big difference between them.

I have a question for you leadcore pros.... early in the year I hear a lot of 2 and 3 color use as your troll near shore structure. I also hear 5 color being a "go to" choice a little later in the year (as you can even add snap weights to get it deeper). If you tie up a 5 color, but only want to run it as a 2 or 3 color using boards...can you just run out the 2 or 3 color & clip on your board to the leadcore itself?  Or is there a benefit if you tie the 5 color up in a segmented way? put on backing, add 3 colors... then say a 30 ft section of mono...followed by your remaining 2 colors? You could then run your lure out on 2 colors and clip your board to the mono segment between the 2 & 3 color sections of leadcore. Just looking for some advice so I can get the maximum flexibility out of the least number of leadcore setups

• Like 2

I tried using lead core on large boards years ago and attaching the core direct to my release. When I tied to snap the line out of the release to change lure color, it broke off at the release and I lost everything. Lure, leader, a bunch of lead core and snap swivel. Don't know if it was a fluke or not but I never tried that again because it was expensive and I suspect it was not a coincidence.  I think lead core bent at a right angle like that makes it weak.  Maybe line was weak from old age or too much sun radiation.  Now I use only mono backer because it works best in my big board releases. I suspect you might get away with it if you use in line boards but I never tried it.  FYI is use 20 pound Berkley Big game (green). Braid backer tends to slip out of my releases.

Certainly not a an answer from a "leadcore pro".......

You can put the core in the release, but that will "fix" the distance behind the board the lure will be running at. It will be running at 2 or 3 colors plus your leader. I like to standardize my leader length and "manipulate" the backing length payed out to the clip. Say 25 ft leaders, and 100 feet  of backer. Then you have the option of letting out more backer if fish want longer leads that day. Often, the higher the fish are in the water column, the further back from the boat they want the bait.

Also, getting consistant releases from leadcore in release clips has been problematic for me, as well as wear on the core sheath.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics