Big motor on...Bow-mounted trolling motor on?

Big motor on...Bow-mounted trolling motor on?

I have been reading a lot of techniques lately where trollers have been using their main motor for propelling the boat and their bow-mounted trolling motor for steering.  Does anyone here do this?  I am curious if there are any chances to damaging the trolling motor as well as how fast you can go with this still being effective?  I have been thinking about upgrading my Minn Kota Terrova to iPilot Link, and some of the features I would gain would basically turn my trolling motor into the Autopilot I have always wanted!

Thanks!

--Joe

I have a minn kota ulterra that has i pilot and what I do it turn my motor on and set up the auto pilot but I leave the motor off (0 power), when I hook up with a fish I put my trolling motor(main motor) to idle and turn the motor in the front to 8 power and set the direction, when I get the fish in and the rods reset. I shut the trolling motor off and reset my main motor to it trolling speed. I tried to run it where it was running all the time but it ran out of power 3 hours in. During the loc I will fish up to 10 hours at a time. and doing my way you can do it for 20+ hours without having to charge it. I works great up to 3 foot waves, then as long as you are not going directly into them you are still good (may need to turn up the power to 10) also do not use the advanced auto pilot, use the standard one. 

• Like 1

I usually put the front bow mount on 3 or 3.5 to steer and use the kicker for propulsion, it works great.  I will lock the heading on the trolling motor and that way you can deploy lines and net fish without worrying about being spun around or blown off course by the wind.   The batteries on my 24v terrova will last at least 8 hours this way.  I have never run out of juice on the water.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Youngblood said:

If you don't have auto pilot for your Terrova. I have one I would sell for cheap with a copilot wire less remote. Doesn't have spot lock or anything.But you could use the auto pilot to troll.

Thanks, but I already have iPilot in my Terrova and am looking to upgrade it to iPilot Link for connection/capabilities with my fishfinder.

--Joe

I do what fishmaster described...... use the kicker "locked" in a position that pushes the boat straight, and then use the "autopilot" on the bow mount electric motor to steer. There are two course setting features on the MinnKotas...... I may not have this right, but if you push the autopilot button and release, the autopilot steers to a line of individual points. If you push the ap button and hold it for a few seconds it will hold the heading it was on when pushed...... you want the "hold the button for a few seconds" method..... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, J. Sparrow said:

I do what fishmaster described...... use the kicker "locked" in a position that pushes the boat straight, and then use the "autopilot" on the bow mount electric motor to steer. There are two course setting features on the MinnKotas...... I may not have this right, but if you push the autopilot button and release, the autopilot steers to a line of individual points. If you push the ap button and hold it for a few seconds it will hold the heading it was on when pushed...... you want the "hold the button for a few seconds" method..... 

Exactly what sparrow said.  You have to hold the "N" button until the circle around the "N" disappears.  Mine would not hold a line if the circle was showing, mine would  continue to try and steer towards the north.  It drove me nuts  until I figured it out a month later.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, J. Sparrow said:

I do the same. I just upgraded to a terrova but had an older powerdrive with autopilot you pushed a button on the base for autopilot then could adjust with the foot pedal and would stay on the same line as corrected. I will have to figure out the terrova with the ipilot. The set up works great for fishing alone or with newbys as you can worry about setting lines without getting blown around and having to always correct steering.

I know people will move with the trolling motor still deployed but at low speed but I don't take the chance.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, dukhnter8 said:

The set up works great for fishing alone or with newbys as you can worry about setting lines without getting blown around and having to always correct steering.

This is a big reason as to what intrigues me about this setup!!!!

Thanks for all the replies everyone!  Great information :emoticon-0148-yes:

--Joe

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics