Walleye Maumee River Walleye Run

Maumee River Walleye Run

And so it begins, the Annual Walleye Run in the Maumee River, I’m not big on the Walleye Eye Run in the Maumee River due to the crowds, but I have a few friends that have ventured out and got a couple of limits. For me, it’s the sign that the fishing season has kicked off, the Maumee Walleye River Run is the Black-Friday of the fishing season. Within a week I will be out jigging in the Western Basin bringing home all those gifts the lake has to offer. It’s just like when I was a kid on Christmas Eve night; I can’t sleep in anticipation…  :emoticon-0102-bigsmile:

20170328_142747.jpeg

I'm thinking the East end guys are con, and the West end guys are pro.......... I'm an East end guy, and against it, but I can see how the argument could be made that other factors control walleye populations more than fishing during the spawn. Still, it just doesn't feel right to me.

But, by that rationale, perch should also be protected in the spring........ and that ain't gonna happen.

Perch need to be the first 50 you catch,instead of tossing back smaller ones that will not survive that are seagull bait!I will write a resolution on this change to send through the Federation of Soortsmans Clubs up to NY Conservation Council.I know everyone will say how do you enforce such a regulation,hopefully pure pressure from other anglers saying something when they see it happen.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

I tend to agree with all your comments... I had a guy on my boat last spring. we were doing well over deep water, but he would toss the smaller perch out "as seagull bait". which I didn't think was right either. I showed him, that when you first set the hook you can typically tell if its a smaller fish (especially compared to the slobs we were getting), just real that small fish up slowly....even stop & pause for a few seconds half way up. By doping so, their bladder isn't out of their mouth and they can easily be released to become fatties later on. I blieve this is good advice for any of us "conservation minded" fishermen. Heck I relased a few giant hens last weekend so they could spawn!!! Ya gotta give some back sometimes

• Like 1

I wish everyone could be as conservation minded as you & others are Ten Percent.With the increase of walleye & perch quotas by 20% for commercial netters and those taking in 50 perch to the truck and returning for 50 more,along with culling and lastly tournaments that take all bigger fish,how long can the great fishing last?Especially when the forage base is down,emerald shiners & smelt numbers have dropped off,we seen golbies in the belly of walleye a lot last year.

19 hours ago, mostlymuskies said:

Perch need to be the first 50 you catch,instead of tossing back smaller ones that will not survive that are seagull bait.

Last year when the Perch bite was hot and heavy.After catching some smaller(9 and 10")Perch on Minnows.I switched over to a #7 Jigging Rap with a eye on the treble hook.After that all my Perch were 11" + .I didn't have to rebait after every fish and caught just as many as the guy with me that was using 2 minnows.

When New York shut off our commercial fishermen, the perch population exploded and the walleye catches dropped every year till 2003. I have seen many lakes such as Chautauqua that stunted down their perch and the walleyes dropped off also. The scientists report we should take more but the do no gooders think we are taking too many. Let us listen to professionals and not the stop the world complainers.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

• Like 1

On 3/30/2017 at 10:17 AM, river357 said:

Good way to wipe out a population 

Why do you think the Ohio fish managers want all to the fish caught in the NWT tournament next week kept and killed? Too many big fish that eat a lot and produce very little viable spawn

Recent years of successful walleye reproduction may result in stress on the biomass and the forage base. You can not put too many cows in a pasture or too many fish in the lake without a collapse of our fishery. In the 1950s we had an explosion of smelt that resulted in the extermination of blue pike, lake trout, ciscoes, whitefish and other cold water seeking species. The lake was not dead, just over whelmed with the wrong specy, smelt.

Why do you think the Ohio fish managers want all to the fish caught in the NWT tournament next week kept and killed? Too many big fish that eat a lot and produce very little viable spawn

I have been in favor of a closed season for walleye and perch and walleye during the spawn.
But no one listens
The perch caught are full of eggs and their skin is stretched out and when filleted there's no meat on them.what a waste GUYS THINK ABOUT IT. LET'S ALL BE CONCERNED SPORTSMEN.

The lake can support only so many fish and a failure to keep the populations under control and in healthy numbers is necessary to be beneficial to all species in the lake. If the walleye were endangered the fishery managers would be the first to shut the harvest of walleye down. The perch that are unharvested are a main predator of walleye fry and fingerlings, not the sport fishing group that fails to keep the perch, white perch and white bass under control. Walleye are not Gods that are to be worshipped but part of a huge picture that needs to be balanced.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics