Walleye IT’S NEAR TIME FOR DELICIOUS WALLEYE WINGS

Yes, Walleye do have Wings.  It's the Chin or Breast Meat.  If you are now enjoying the Cheeks (the filet mignon) give Walleye Wings a try. You will find that they are good as Cheeks and if not better tasting.

Several years ago (well over 25) I read an article in OOD Magazine on how to cut out and cooking "The Pecks" (now called Walleye Wings and also known as Chin & Fins, Wishbones, Bat Wings and Rabbit Ears). I had a copy of that article and showed it to numerous other Walleye Fishermen over the years to get others eating this delicious part of the fish as I have been doing since reading that article. It’s a shame how much of The Pecks (Walleye Wings) go to waste each year when fishermen could be enjoying this part along with the Cheeks.

I learned from that article to make the “V” cut, which includes both Ventral Fins as shown in these YouTube Videos.

Cutting out Walleye Wings

How to fillet a Walleye and get all the meat! Cheeks, Wings and Fillets

Recently, I came across another Video where the whole Breast Plate is cut out, which I will be doing this upcoming Lake Erie Walleye Season.

Walleye Wings Breast Meat

Dont toss out the Walleye breast bone meat called Walleye wings. Its easy to remove and has lots of prime meat.

How to cook Walleye Wings- Savory Goodness

Here is a Link to an excellent Article done by Blogger Mark Schram who is an avid tournament fisherman from Wisconsin. In his Article “WALLEYE WINGS” it has a bit of History, Cooking Methods and more along with a Picture of Deep Fried Walleye Wings.
Walleye Wings - My Fishing Partner 
http://myfishingpartner.com/walleye-wings/
For years, anglers have known about the delicacy of walleye cheeks, but are now learning of the new rage of walleye wings.

For those who have never heard of them, it is the " V " under the gill plate that is normally tossed out with the head after you fillet the fish. The bones are larger and somewhat flat and easy to pull out as you eat them. The meat is very sweet, and makes an awesome appetizer. You can bread em, fry em, grill em, smoke em then coat in BBQ sauce or use your favourite Dip.

Don't forget! If you are deep frying your wings then be sure to eat the actual fins, not just the pad of meat. They have a resemblance to crispy potato chips.

In June of 2015 I Posted this on a couple of Lake Erie Fishing Forums.  Recently, in March 2017 I thought I would Google "Walleye Wings" looking for additional information and I find a Company from Kenora, ON called Walleye Wings Inc. who has a Website and Facebook Page.  They have taken Walleye Wings mainstream with Packaged Breaded and Smoked Walleye Wings and currently distribute to several restaurants, grocery stores, lodges and gas stations in the region.

It took many years for Walleye Cheeks (the filet mignon) to go mainstream and are now sold at many Fish Markets, in time I expect Walleye Wings to do the same instead of being wasted or going for Cat Food.

Please tell all  your fish'n buddys that don't utilize this part of the Walleye and have them read this article and check out the YoutTube Videos.  I do hope more Walleye fishermen will be enjoying their Wings this upcoming Walleye season.
Edited by gethookedfishn
  • Like 1

I never tried the wings ,but I will be!  There use to be an older black gentleman that would sit in the fish cleaning station at the SBH years ago & he would clean up your mess if you gave him the heads & guts of the walleyes. I asked him what he did with them & he said "you white people throw out the best part of the fish" & he did point out the meat on the wings.  He said he made fish stock & gumbo with it. He always took the heads, the wings & the tail parts of the fish. He hasn't been there the last few years that I know of.

17 minutes ago, Reel Overtime said:

As I sat in the local bar with friends last Friday night, I said boy could I go for some wings,  But being I'm Catholic, no meat Friday,   we joked saying it would have to be fish wings.. ha ha.. when we googled this I was amassed to see this.... I will def. try it....

Thanks for the videos..

One day you will be able to Order Walleye Wings at your local bar or pub. A great tasting appetizer.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics