kayaks after dark

kayaks after dark

With fishing season coming up fast,i have wrote a letter to the US Coast Guard,reading "Kayaks" on the water after dark. It seems that regarding to the light code they only have to have a "white"light  somewhere on them....there have been many close calls hitting these Kayaks while fishing after dark,we as in larger boating craft...have to have a port light,starboard light,a white light on the transom,and a upper white light above our taller deck to be seen at night. and above all,if we were to hit a kayak with out seeable lighting its our fault. Time for the laws to be changed...or maybe its time for these little boats to be off the water at dusk...you would think the coast guard ,sheriffs dept,DEC would acknowledge to save a life or law suit by better safety standards after dark....i have nothing against kayaks...they have the right to fish as we do...but safer lighting restrictions must be enforced for the safety of all of us....

The thing of it is....Why as a insured and registered boater should i have to worry about these idiots..On the lake after dark with no lights on there kayaks...It only jeperdiz my insurance and the health of themselves and others...The law must change...This year !!!! I will not be responsible for a kayak owner to be on the lake after dark without the same lighting i have on my boat...Do they carry flare's... Whistles...And other safety devices on board ??? They are a safety hazards on the lake after dark...And the USCoast Guard has to take action..On this subject !!!! ASAP !!!

monkeyman14554,I have nothing against Kayaks at all,I believe everyone has the right to enjoy our great waters.But just do not want to see anyone getting hurt or killed when it can be avoided with a little bit of safer practices on both sides,both boaters and paddle boaters.For one the imposed 10 mph speed limit in the Buffalo Outer Harbor because of the Kayaks is a big mistake at 10 mph my boat creates a 4 ft wake,at 25 mph no wake,so what is safer for the paddle boater wake or no wake!Like I said before a single white light when it is grouped with Buffalo City lights gets lost in the lighted background especially when the Kayak is so low profile they are very hard to see at night from short distances.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 2

On 3/14/2017 at 5:15 PM, monkeyman14554 said:

Interesting spin on this from the fisherman's point of view.  I am a white water guy and have never wore anything but a light, however, if I was flat water paddling and fishing I think I would put up a couple more lights up for this very reason.. No easy answer here.

As a white water paddle guy, I would guess your paddling rapids & don,t have to worry about getting run over by too many power boats.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics