Perch Perch Page-Spring 2017

33 perch, 3 walleye, and 1 laker yesterday out of the Catt. 60 FOW. The laker was a surprise, but it explains some of the marks I was seeing. The walleye(12 - 14")  all came from one spot while hunting the perch. My screen never looked like yellowpikes screen above....... wow! Groups of fish would come and go, but at least it was action. 

• Like 1

They can be right next to you and not have a clue,even watching you.See your tackle rig setup,see you lift slow feel weight and set hook. They drop their rig to the bottom sit there not keeping a tight line and get stripped of emerald shiner ,not having a clue sitting for another 19 minutes waiting for a bite on an empty hook.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 2

When you're looking for perch away from the pack, are you strictly looking for fish marks? Or looking for structure(depressions or bumps) that holds fish? Or some combination of this. So far, I've just been looking for marks, but it feels like the needle in the haystack approach. Sometimes it's successful, and most times it's not. I'm not local, and only make it to Erie a couple of times a year for perch, and it's tempting to run to the pack but I don't like to listen to all that noise. The fish I got yesterday were well away from everyone else..... but it took 1/2 the day to find them and even then, they weren't stacked up on each other. 

Exactly. Having the right tackle helps too. I have seen a lot of gear that is too heavy and not sensitive enough to feel that weight. Double lake erie spreader bars and no braid or nano fill.  That used to work when we had plenty of bait and massive schools of perch. You have to adapt to changing conditions or else go home empty handed.

Yes you have to make quick adjustments to what is working,no hits on 2nd hook up higher from bottom,you need get both hooks on bottom.Red or green beads or gold or red hooks.Some days those changes will make or break your data catch.Sometimes the windows are short and having everything set right during the heaviest action period will make the difference from catching a few to having your 50 in the bucket.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

you guys are all wrong the method I use needs no change its simple you light the fuse and throw it overboard and wait for the fish to float to surface you net them up no color no line size nothing just a lighter. Took my new mexico  elk hunting outfitter out today great day everyone found their own fish and didn't get to close even stayed away and found their own fish except one boat stoped and said that miller told him look for the crowd and u will find fish told him the crowd was to the north in Canada  he left we laughed we  caught our limit by 11 am nice to see the guys out there today knew the drill tight lines to you all capt Brent

• Like 1

Years ago the favorite spot for early spring perch fishing was off Smokes Creek near the slag piles.. There were hundreds of boats there at this early condition. This area is where the Buffalo Harbor dredging material was dumped for over 150 years and mostly sediments where the critters that perch eat are at.

Edited by jimski2

Many times the perch do not bite as you look for the tip of the rod for a bite.They inhale a minnow, crunch it in their throat to remove the scales and break the bones. They spit it back out and then take it deep. You have to be able to feel the weight of the perch on the line as you slightly lift  it and then set the hook. After they crunch the minnow it falls off the hook and you are mystified by the minnow is gone. A good set up is to tie the hooks to your braid with palomar knots directly, No snaps, swivels or contraptions to defeat the sensitivity of your rig. One hook should extend past the sinker to set in the mud, this is the good producer. With your line held tight to the sinker resting on the bottom, you will feel perch vibrations similar to a violin string and that is the perch crunching your minnow. You have to hold the rod at all times and you will notice the the guys doing the catching are holding just one rod. A light sinker of a half ounce or less will give you the sensitivity you need. Get the line up and put it back quickly before the school moves on. Fellows using three rods catch less fish as they are changing bait too often and not paying attention to the one rod that is being hit. Spinner blades and other attractions slow down the return to the bottom of your line. If you set out other lines use plastics that are not stolen as live emeralds are.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the tips here...... I've been using 6 lb braid, and sensitive rods, but I didn't realize the beads or hooks could be so critical, so thanks for sharing that. 

Any tips on finding fish away from the pack..... what to look for?

And trapper..... does the dynamite require a special license?

this is the news everyone is waiting for SP is now open and they will be charging starting tomorrow was there today and talked to the director so this is real all open tomorrow the dredging guys said they went 10 ft deep let the stampede began tight lines to all  capt Brent

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics