Autopilot

I had a garmin tr-1 gold installed on my Honda 9.9 kicker on my Trophy 23'5" walk around last spring . I love it. It handles the erie waves very well.  You can adjust the speed in tenths of a mile practically it is very easy to use.  Can not help help you with a installer being I am not from Pittsburgh I hope this helps you out

We have used the TR1 on two boats for years 9.9 and 8HP high thrust Yamaha kickers ; They have performed very well . The install is not that hard if you are at all handy and can read . They are like having a first mate aboard I wouldn't fish without one .

• 2 months later...

Do you have an IO or outboard motor?  Do you have hydraulic steering?  If you have hydraulic steering you have plenty of good options.  I, unfortunately, have an IO with rack and pinion power assisted steering.  And there are limited options for a setup like this.  I ended up with a Raymarine EV200 Sportpilot.  It has given me 4 years of good service so far.  

• 1 month later...

Just got my TR1 installed and running, had some issues with compass ball being bad out of the box, Garmin replaced it and once installed works like a dream. It drives the boat better at trolling speeds than people can and it allows you to actually fish more.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed the new Lowrance outboard auto pilot to my HDS Gen2.  and here's the thing..... I installed it on my 9.9 High thrust ONLY.  I purchased a Baystar hydraulic steering cylinder.  When all finished, in for $1300, can control it from my HDS, create routes, pre-planned turns besides the basics..  I'll add a Troll Master Pro 2 for throttle control then... go fishing.....  

I also am interested in an autopilot.   I have a 1985, 5000 Lb 24' with 260 merc Alpha 1 (MR) drive with what I assume is hydraulic assist because there is a power steering pump on the engine.  Plan on using it primarily for trolling at 1.5 to 2.5 MPH in west basin.  You talked about the Garmin TR1 and I presently have a garmin 541 chart plotter.   The other unit I read about is the Octopus Autopilot drive system.  Would also like to do a self install.

Excited to see this forum and would be extremely grateful for any suggestions including model numbers.  Thanks in advance.

Chuck E.

Hey Chuck,  Auto Pilot....... Hmmmm.. why the heck did I wait so long ????  The best money I've spent on my boat.  I had the HDS 12 by Lowrance, Gen 2, and when Lowrance came out with a hydraulic system that matches my system I did a bunch of homework.  For $1000 I could have the autopilot drive the boat inside the Lowrance software, gps and insight map?????  Darned right I'm spending the money.  BUT... I had the same steering system it appears you have.  Power assisted cable.  HMMMM.....  So... I installed a hydraulic steering cylinder on my Kicker and never attached it to my main outdrive.  It steers the boat beautifully.  Point is... get a unit that works with your GPS and map system.  It really makes it easy.  Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, Dan.  Looks like I too will need to do a lot of homework.  I will start with Garmin, as you suggested, because of my chart plotter.  I really don't want an auxiliary kicker so I have to find something that will tie into my ancient assisted steering system.

I went out as a first mate on a trolling charter that of course had an autopilot.  It certainly made up my mind on the necessity of steering electronics.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics